1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

as they say, there's two parties on each side of a trade. if everyone did/thought the same thing, there would be no trading.

different stroke for different folks.

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Yeah. It can be hard to remember that there is always a buyer and a seller in every transaction. Sometimes it feels like everyone is selling or everyone is buying but the number is always equal.

@notbostrom has a point though. If you can make over 10% per year in the market on a continuing basis, you are one of the best money managers of all time. It's kinda like the cycling threads on here. Do I believe that you or your buddy have averaged 30mph for 20 miles? Yes. Do I also believe that you were drafting with a tailwind and going downhill? Yes. Otherwise you would be headed to the Olympics. Making good money in a bull market doesn't prove much other than you were smart enough to get in on it.

R1M370 and BigBird like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

If someone would guarantee me a 10% annual return on my investment, with little to no risk, I'd sell every asset I have tomorrow and jump in.

BigBird likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

There's this guy...his name is Bernie...he has a lot of free time currently. Don't mind his orange suit.

418, SteveThompson and motion like this.
  5. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

^^this^^

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

ARK/Cathie Woods is supposed to be the new supposed investing Guru and she was coasting in the bull market with a lot of retail investor love, but yesterday her funds took a beating.

Will be interesting to see how it fairs when the bears come out of hibernation. That's where the real genius shows.

7. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Cathie is incredible. Watch her interview (Google "Ark Invest’s Cathie Wood defends her Tesla to $4,000 call") where she called TSLA going to $4,000 pre-split while it was trading at $200 (!!!) per share. The interviewers mocked her and only stopped just shy of calling her a lunatic. Not only did she defend herself fiercely, but the stock ripped through the $4k/share mark less than two years later and currently sits at a split adjusted ~$3700. I wish the two anchors that originally interviewed her would do a follow up :D

BigBird likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

i've realized investing is not for me. I have no patience, aka paper hands. My lack of patience is what made me take longer than most to learn to late apex.

At least i have a tax deduction that I can use this year, and probably next year

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    R1M370 likes this.
  9. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Where's my GameStop gang at? Just halted on trading; up 74% today.

notbostrom and BigBird like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

GME over $80...you're welcome. only happened because i paper handed it

Rebel635 likes this.
  11. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I'm just going to stick my head in the sand and keep repeating that I don't care and I won't buy anymore GME.

BigBird likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Wow, it skyrocketed at the end of the day along with other Reddit stocks... AMC, KOSS. Another Reddit push happening?

BigBird likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

GME is at 125; so don't feel too bad about your TSLA losses. I'm right there with you :(

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Man, and you sold a couple days ago? That stings. Don't feel bad... I've done the same thing over and over and over.

BigBird likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Yeah...friday after hours....it is what it is...

good for everyone else, hopefully making some $$

16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Unreal. GME is skyrocketing again. Kudos to those that held. I stayed away from the meme stocks but its entertaining for sure.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Who's got the crystal ball showing what the opening price will be tomorrow???

BigBird likes this.
  18. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I know a couple of Florida based
    “Lenders” that make short term
    ( 5 years balloon) loan at a 50% max loan to value ratio that are just killing it ... and the windfalls on the few failures is just crazy ...

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Go GME go !!! LOL

20. kangasj

kangasj Banned