1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That's a great story... and to be fair, it's squeaking a scoch higher than the overall market YTD.

[​IMG]

HOWEVER COMMA

[​IMG]

^^^This is abysmal.

EDIT: Just in case you were wondering.

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

1 month with the structured note and so far so good. Indices down yet pulled in 9+%.
    Bought another one this month. 9.6% return and 2.5yr maturity. 30% downside protection.
    Chatter about recession does concern me but it's nice to have a good chunk of protection in place.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

And I have done absolutely nothing regarding this. Good on you for making it happen!!!! That’s great!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. GordonWood#90

GordonWood#90 New Member

Anyone here selling covered calls or cash secured puts? asking for a friend.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Keep going on this for a few years and you'll be able to afford my RZ500 :D

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I must've missed this... what are you referring to?

8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

If all goes well I'll start a moto touring business. Don't fret -I'd be touring less desirable areas. Could probably do the Alberta oil sands in 2 days. Maybe rent a ferry and explore the floating plastic island in the North Pacific. I hear Chernoble is warm this time of halflife.

Thrak,
    There's still risk involved, and I've only dabbled w/ these for a month or so but structured notes are items sold by banks. They're market based and the general gist is they offer varying monthly/periodic returns, even if the markets are down....to a point. The gains are limited and these notes have a lifespan.
    Ex.
    One note I bought has a 2.5yr term, offers 9% return with a downside protection of 30%.
    So for those 2.5 years, I'll generate 9% interest providing the market doesn't drop more than 30%. (This note happens to be based on the Russell, Nasdaq and S&P.
    Should the market dip 31%, I won't generate any interest for that month. Should the market be down 31% at the end of the notes term in 2.5 years, I lose that much of my investment. Should the market be down 29% at the end of the notes term, I receive 100% of my initial investment back as if the market remained flat those 2.5 years.
    Should the market rise steeply, I'm still capped at that 9%.

This is as risky as I get within the investing world. The Russell is already down 7% from when I bought in so I'm pooping a little. Another 23% drop and I'll have less to say about structured notes. I don't pretend to know the future but the advisor has a sweet Alfa and I'm a sucker for black wheels.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

10. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Inflation 9.1%... stocks about to go dooooooown.

11. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Of course, it's truly WAY above 9.1%.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, double it.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Burn Baby Burn!

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Federal Reserve Notes are good kindling

17. Boman Forklift

I was diggin all this until that line. Any advisor that has an Alfa is more suspect than me buying a lotus or thinking it was a good idea to spend money road racing. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Isn't that the truth. My cost on new forklifts is up 40%.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was in the grocery store yesterday buying my $1.99 Only tortilla chips. They're $2.29 Only now. I walked by the bacon display and saw that no-name bacon is $11.99 for a small package. Used to be $4.99 not too long ago. Crazy stuff going on these days. Good thing old POS Africa Twins haven't been affected!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

@motion , you got HGEN in your portfolio? Just curious.