1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

2. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of investor survey's in the past month that asked of the 21-45 year old with at least $100k investable cash, what percent is invested in crypto? Overall, average was about 10-15%. with normal stock/bond making up the majority, realestate too. However broken down by ethnic group, AfricanAmerican reported 60% in crypto with Hispanics closest with almost 40%. I ask Mr. Machine, in the unlikely event that no current crypto formats survive, How would do you expect those types of urban communities to react? I think the crypto commercials are kind of at fault selling the "Be Bold" campaign, so invest on emotions not risk/reward.

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

See post #4064.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I don’t care how anyone else fares. That’s the thing about free market capitalism :D

auminer and Paddy O like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

With the caveat that a rising tide lifts all ships, ^this.

Boman Forklift and cortezmachine like this.
  6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

The Panama Canal begs to differ :D

7. Sweatypants

that's an odd thing to say in the context of betting on something that depends literally entirely on group sentiment and not a single other aspect, for you to make money. but hey... (not) being a millionaire is only temporarily embarrassing i guess...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

making money also depends on others losing it. Bitcoin isn’t my only investment strategy.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I thought you sold all your bitcoin and broke even when it was dropping?

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I did. That was my bitcoin. I’m stacking cash right now to invest in stocks, crypto, and a few other things when this all goes tits up in the next 18 months

12. Sweatypants

see that's inherently false. but for the sake of "i only care enough to crack a few jokes here", consider that an ACTUAL company, makes things, from labor and materials, and if enough people want them over the cost of the materials, the company makes money, and if you invest in that company, often they will pay you a dividend for your investment stake in their success, and in that scenario, nobody is "losing" money. the value of that investment is predicated on them providing an actual good or service that people want, not just stealing from somebody else's bet you think you're outsmarting. if you buy bonds, municipal or federal or other, you're making money off the grace of lending somebody else some money for a time.

if all you're doing is pretending to be the Wolf of Wall Street and only trading in the FX market, or only doing futures... then sure, that's valid. good luck with your money if so.

pfhenry likes this.
  13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Some of you guys take me way too seriously, and I can’t figure out if it’s because you’re genuinely concerned for my financial well being or you’re just wanting to prove me wrong.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Definitely not the former… :Poke:

Steeltoe, auminer and cortezmachine like this.
  15. Sweatypants

Option C

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Your first statement is not correct.
    I can make money with my investments without you having to lose it.
    The increase in value in my shares of VIIIX has no correlation with your increase/decrease of your Bitcoin (or other) investment, unless there's som direct overlap between your investment and the underyling shares (IBM, Amazon, BP, etc) that make up my mutual fund.

Investment is not a zero sum game where one wins and one loses.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Especially when you're Motion & Bird LLP. Getting back to a zero sum would be a record quarter for them.

:D

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

read previous post.

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Which?
    The one where you say someone loses in order for someone to win?
    Or
    The one where you say you don't care what happens to anyone else?
    OR
    The one where you admit you might not have a clue?

YamahaRick likes this.
  20. Arioch

Arioch Member

ibonds are at 9.62% compounded semi-annually. No broker will tell you about it because you buy direct on TreasuryDirect. This is a safe investment with a good rate of return if you don't mind locking up your money for five years. You are capped at $10,000 per year.

BigBird likes this.