1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

there's that whole psychological human behavioral thing about, giving somebody something they never expected to have, getting them used to it, and then them being distraught when its taken away that never ceases to amaze. People see 25% gains for a few years and start getting plans and ideas that they never had before haha, BUT... they shouldn't, but they do every time.

there's gonna be a whole generation of Robinhood meme stock idiots that get scared off of investing after this, watch. Who woulda thought its unreasonable to expect 10x normal average returns on something to continue forever?

2. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

All of these comments are exactly what was being said when the tech bubble popped

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You talking 2000? I got burnt so bad back then, I've never really re-entered the market. One and done for me!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Dave Wolfe

You forgot the /sarc flag u dummy! Ive seen you n big bird bragging about losses lol

motion likes this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

And will be the same for the next bubble and the one after that. People never learn.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Absolutely correct.....

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Won’t take many more bubbles and busts before there’s nothing left to fleece the underclass out of

Dan Dubeau and Banditracer like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its a good thing then that the little idiots' exit will have no effect on the market, since basic market fundamentals are now gone and the market breathes according to the algos and a few people with their hands on the controls.

pickled egg likes this.
  9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think that's exactly my point. Sure, people took some losses. Some on the fringes got wiped out. Otherwise, we have all been fine. We'll likely be fine this time too.

10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Economies are going to continue to shrink in all developed countries. The birth rate was already declining, but with covid it has dropped dramatically below replacement. People are not having kids. and with inflation it’s going to go even lower. Economies can’t grow when the population is dropping. Up and coming countries like India and Brazil though, I’m inclined to start looking at investments over yonder.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

technology and my life's work says you're incorrect.

also you're 20 years late on that epiphany, but still some opportunity for sure. BRIC was an early 2000's term man, that was the time.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Plenty of people being born in other countries to keep our economy growing, if we let the right ones in.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Guess that whole baby formula shortage couldn’t have come at a better time.

ChemGuy and Sabre699 like this.
  14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That’s right about when I really got started. It worked out pretty well.

The dotcoms were the demon of that bubble pop. Ask Jeeves was really good to me in the recovery.
    Homebuilders (and banks) were the demon in the real estate bubble. Guess where really good value could be found in the aftermath.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm looking at > 5 years for most of them.
    I'm under no delusion that I will not be underwater for a while. I'm okay with that.

And foremost, I have been monitoring them for at least a couple of years. I've just been waiting for a good entry point.

16. Dave Wolfe

Everyone talks about "growing economies" like its a moral imperitive or the answer to life, the universe, and everything. I challenge you to question that premise!
    With a fiat debt based economy, the bubble pops when growth stops. Do we keep "growing" just to keep the ponzi going?

The things that matter are families, culture, food, water, and shelter. Not a continually growing economy. When this current system breaks down, the important things will still remain.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Sure, it’s raising min wage that’s causing inflation. Not doubling the debt in 8 years. Trillions of dollars were pumped into the system in the last 2 years on top of the trillions pumped into the system since 2008.
    I guess record fuel prices are cuz the gas attendants got $15 an hour?
    Give your head a shake, you got that backwards. Inflation will and is happening if the min wage was $7.25 or $15.

All theses corporations that have sold out and moved manufacture overseas 20 years ago, shit down production here, are going to get a rude awakening when no one can afford the product they sell.

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

how many people are going to suffer through that contraction.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Less than if the unsustainable population growth persisted.

20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Fify