1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, that's been bandied about but that's never going to happen because no one has been able to crack the nut of how to do it logistically.

I think doing away with portfolio loans and other ways to get cash flow from those assets without selling them would be the more acceptable solution there.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Absolutely genius. Sorcery even.

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

All good points. However, the last point has a flaw. The brain trust isn’t trying to capture the delta in value because of step up basis. They’re talking about taxing ALL unrealized gains. If they wanted to solve the actual problem they easily could, but that’s not their aim.

auminer likes this.
  4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Just because the idea is idiotic that doesn’t mean they won’t do it. You also assume that the actual goal is to get revenue, I don’t believe that’s the aim of this proposal but we don’t need to go into it here.

You don’t need to do away with portfolio loans. It’s a perfectly sensible product. You need to recognize the portion that’s just consumption and not financing activity as income. For ultra large portfolios, I don’t think demanding such an accounting would be an undue burden. However, these things always expand so I don’t think the revenue would be worth the risk.

5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

First time I actually looked at any specs for these or even seen a pic of one... impressive- now they just need to convince people to start buying sedans again (at $70-170K)

BigBird likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

This was the answer

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I bought some, so no...probably not. :D

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

13. Tristan

So...who's buying today? Or waiting for more bleeding? I'd be buying a few things if I didn't need all my cash for house closing in a couple weeks.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

T is looking tempting for a long term play. Might still be some downside to it but if your horizon is past the tip of your nose you might get a few.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I bought a chunk of DIA first thing this morning.

Would've been better to wait until this afternoon :rolleyes:

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I bought DAL this morning, so I fell ya ...

17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I averaged down on some more GDNP this morning. I should have waited till this afternoon.....

18. Tristan

I'd buy more DFS if I could

19. 418

418 Expert #59

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

AERC wtf? :confused: