1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving someones life at the cost of potentially your own?

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Jun 16, 2021.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Man I just need to vent. Monday morning on my way to work around 4am, I was on the highway which is no slouch of one, and it was a stretch of one surrounded by trees and no shoulders, just guardrail within inches of the road. Im always watchful of deer, but monday morning a young man who was drunk/high tried to commit suicide by having any car run over him. It was a fast corner where the headlights wont shine exactly where you are going and I saw his silhouette very last second. I swerved very hard to miss him and the car went into a violent fishtail that I could not recover whatsoever, but that split second I saw him I knew he would have been dead if I didnt. My car is 360 degree totalled and my knees are all bruised up from the spinning/banging around until it came to a stop. GD toyota airbags didnt deploy so face got a little. Im going to be completely screwed on getting another car, as my car just isnt going to be worth enough to get another, and I cant afford a payment currently. The young man did say to me afterwards that he wanted me or anybody to kill him and thats why he stepped out into the road from the woods. Very sad to say the least. Im glad the young guy didnt get hit and hope he gets help. Ive been through ALOT of firsthand violence and death situations here in the states and especially in central america in my younger days, but this one is really bugging me, and I can't exactly figure which part is getting me most. 2021 started off rough and has done nothing but get rougher for us. Im beyond grateful I didnt kill the young man, but damn this is going to suck. Sorry, rant over. It sounds pathetic, but ive nowhere else to vent.

SpeedyE and ToofPic like this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Putting somebody else's life at risk in order to end your own is a pretty solid dick move.

Was a police report filed with this information? Do you not have insurance?

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about this, I have nothing constructive to add to the terrible situation other than I'm glad you are relatively ok, it should have never happened to you

4. britx303

Yes on insurance, but I think the value of the car isn't worth all that much monetarily. Priceless to my family currently, which means jack to the ins companies. I called the police within seconds of the car coming to a stop. State police do have him down as at fault.

5. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Car would be f'd if u hit him or not. Damage and personal injury might have been a lot worse if u hit him. Good on you for your own sake!

It's OK to be mad at him.

Hopefully insurance will put u in a functional car.
    It's not so much how much the car is worth, it's getting you in a replacement if it is totaled.
    Maybe be proactive and get a few quotes for used cars in the area and forward them to the agent.

If ur knees are hurt go see a doc just to get it on file at least.

Getting injured and totaling ur car while going to work at 4am... damn... here's some luck for you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    ToofPic likes this.
  6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Your car flipped over and your airbags didn't deploy? Hmmmmm... It sounds like you have battle fatigue... you did the right thing, and are getting screwed, after a difficult beginning to the year, close to last straw syndrome. That sucks.

Gorilla George and ToofPic like this.
  7. britx303

Oh no doubt whatsoever that car is totalled. I played spinning pinball between the guardrails on left and right of the highway. Front end is gone entirely.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Your heart is in the right place. Someone with less compassion would probably have beat his ass.

9. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The title had me thinking this would be about weighing the decision rather than a simple reflex reaction.

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Glad you're OK Buddy! That is some scary shit.

And I JUST sold my car dirt cheap about six weeks ago. Had this happened six weeks ago, I'd have given you that car.
    It had 188K on it, but it got 45mpg and ran absolutely fine.

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the accident, can`t imagine.

Hope the insurance comes through and your situation improves.

One thing, you won`t have to live with that , even though it would not have been your fault.

Best wishes.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Glad you are okay. You did the right thing by trying to avoid him, fortunately you still have great reactions.

When I totaled a truck 20 years ago, I surprisingly learned they not only gave me FMV, but they calculated the sales tax on that amount, plus the remaining months of registration, and included all of that into the check. So in my case, I received more than I could have sold the truck for.

Hopefully you are pleasantly surprised with that too.

13. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Had you not swerved to miss him, you would have been playing the "What could I have done different to not take a life" game for the rest of your days. You did the right thing and sometimes the right thing still sucks. Heal up and good luck with the car situation.

14. britx303

You are correct!!This year has been really bad.........not even going to mention the start of the year. Anyways, We fostered a mother kitty that looks like your avatar but black around the ears/eyes and she had a litter of 3 on our porch on our daughters 16 b-day,but one passed at 2 days old. Then 3 weeks ago someones hunting dogs had gotten loose AGAIN, and were attacking mama when I heard the noise outside and got out too late. I managed to grab one of them and strangle hold him til the cops came. That mama cat hung on for about 8 hours with internal injuries before passing so we've had to bottle feed the 2 since. But they are bigger now and drinking formula from bowls now and eating kitten semi-solid food. Then this morning with our only vehicle, my wife started it up so we could get our daughter to drivers ed, and the coolant fan blade threw a blade, so she shut it off quickly. Another kitty from another mama had gotten in there:( I just finished burying her before I posted. Sorry, you're getting unloaded on because your kitty pic, It's weird.......never was a kitty kinda guy, but some of these dudes have been really cool and damned comical when they are little. Sorry for the off topic rant.......your avatar got me

15. britx303

Yep. My dad hit and killed a drunk woman walking in the road when I was 4, and that plagued him for the rest of his life.

16. britx303

Ya know, I admit part of what bothers me............the self inflation racers get thinking we can control every hi-speed situation, when in reality sometimes theres just going to be those circumstances that no matter what we do when it gets out of hand, theres nothing more to do and we crash. Kind of like that running joke "I had to lay it down to avoid crashing" but in reality. Aside from the image of the guys silhouette replaying in my head, ive been racking my mind trying to figure out how I could have swerved that fast but recovered the vehicles control. I just don't think I could have done anything else but sacrifice the car......which in reality put me in jeopardy instead.

17. britx303

Dang it! 188K doesn't skare this cheap-arse.........such is life:D

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yeah...I didn't want to, but I bought a 2020 Highlander in December.
    Needed more room for Alex and his football gear and our sideline chairs, etc, when we went to practice and his games.

No sooner than I buy it, and he says..."Dad, I think I don't want to actually play football anymore....I want to focus on racing."

Am I upset with him on THAT decision? ABSOLUTELY NOT! He came out of the gate this season with some serious cajones.

We'll see how that decision plays out as football season gets closer, and frankly, I don't kind of not want him in a team sport.

Elementary school's last day was today.....the Middle School Adventure begins this Fall.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

As shitty as the situation is, it's still better in the long run than having hit him and never found out that he was trying to kill himself.

Sometimes, the universe takes a big dump on you. And once in a while, it's just never-ending diarrhea. Hang in there, bro.

Blammo, beac83 and BigBird like this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

damn... I felt bad for you just reading this far- and it got even worse. Glad nobody was too hurt, stuff can be replaced.

britx303 likes this.