1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Diego Ohvale owners???

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Patch, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Patch

Patch New Member

Hi- I have a friend that just bought a new Ohvale GP-0 mini racer, and it has a problem. It does not run correctly and we want to look at a known good running Ohvale to verify correct wiring, carb settings, etc.. There has to be something silly/small wrong with it.....pretty baffling. We are in San Diego and we're hoping there might be someone close that might be willing to help??? PM me if you want or comment below. Thanks!

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Can you describe what it's doing or not doing, more accurately, for it to not be not running correctly?

Is the fuel valve completely open? Is the 3 position toggle choke off after it's run a bit?

Are you running ethanol free fuel? I run VP C9 in mine, and it runs much better on that fuel verus pump gas.

My son and I have run our Ohvales quite a but this year we've only used one 5 gallon pail of the C9 ($65).
    They don't use a heck of a lot of fuel.

3. Patch

Patch New Member

Lots of fuel, valve is fully open. Tried jetting up and down from a 125 baseline. Leaner (down to 105) seems to work best, which is totally weird. There is no choke on these carbs- they have an "enrichening valve" for cold starts. Carb changes don't seem to make much of a difference. We are pretty sure it's an ignition problem. Runs almost as if the ignition timing is way off. Tried another CDI and another coil, no change. I think it could be the pick-up or the stator at this point. Trying a know good one would help......that might be a big ask though. Also- U4.4 makes no difference, but that was expected as race gas only helps cure detonation. Thanks for your reply.

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I’d also call Ron at Washington Cycle works.
    Nine zero eight
    Eight 3 Five
    Zero zero 4 3

he may be helpful as well.

sbk25 likes this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Pull the stator cover and cam cover, check that timing marks line up?

6. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

@Patch -- did you resolve your issue?

7. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

I am not very familiar with the engine set up in the Ohvale but I sure seem to see a lot of people doing work to them mainly some engine issues, usually seized piston etc, can someone clue me in as to why they are not seeming very reliable? I have kind of been looking at one but for the premium they command to have engine issues every few track/race days, its kind of kept me away.

8. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on these high-strung little engines, as my Ohvale 190 (bought used) had issues from the start (2 yrs old and raced heavily). But, after diving into it, there weren't major. Just time for periodic maintenance and replacement of fast-wearing parts. That said, I know of two owners who have worked through the gremlins to sort out their ohvales (160s).

Check both the service and repair manuals. The recommended service intervals are there for a reason.

Tj Hunter likes this.