1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safety wiring 636 front axle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Benmont, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

Do I need to drill a hole through the bottom of my forks or is it okay to just safety wire the pinch bolts?

Attached Files:

2. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Every org I’ve raced with has been ok with just the pinch bolts wired.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Per the rulebook, you have to do both.

4. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

Ok I will just make sure I have a drill with me and leave the axle alone.

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

drill the axle near the hex area, then get some pre-drilled pinch bolts and wire in a series. I would not drill the fork leg. I race, ride the same 636. Ski

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. dy0318

dy0318 Member

Does anyone have a photo of what this should look like?

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

get some spring clips and drill the hex area when the axle is torqued in place @skidooboy suggested.
    [​IMG]

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I asked about safety wiring a while back and the snippet from the rulebook that was posted in that thread said "axle nut and/or pinch bolts".

If the pinch bolts are wired it seems there would be no need to wire the axle.

9. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Unless you safety wire loose pinch bolts, then the axle is free. I've seen that in tech.

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Yep, that would do it. Lol

11. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I race up here in Canada with the CSBK (National series) and with CCS/ASRA and Moto America and none of them have ever asked me to install safety wire to the from axel.

Once you go through tech, just make sure you have an option to safety it, if they ask but I seriously doubted they will ask, since the fork acts like the safety of the axel.

BUT if you're really unsure, then just put a smidge of GOOP (automotive silicon) between the axel and fork. ;)