1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safety wire mishap

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GRN_MACH, Feb 20, 2003.

1. GRN_MACH

GRN_MACH Active Member

I rung a bit off in the brake line bolt. I can fill the other end of the bit just breaking the surface on the other side. So, how do I remedy this or can I? BTW, could some one let me know if this is the complete list for safety wiring and if not , let me know what I missed?

oil fill cap
    oil filter
    oil drain bolt
    front and rear caliper(sp?) bolts
    front and rear brake line bolts
    rad hose clamps

Thanx for helping out the rookie, Danny

2. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

3. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

If you can get a small punch on the end of the bit that is sticking out you can probably drive it back out. Or at least loosen it some.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Try using a Dremel and a very small burr to uncover the end of the drill bit. Then use a small punch or nail to knock the broken bit out the way it went in.

5. Quiz695

Quiz695 Active Member

safety wire

don't forget to safety wire all of the exhaust bolts and the rear brake torque arm. youmay have to wire the lower pinch bolts on the forks as well........

6. GRN_MACH

GRN_MACH Active Member

glad that i have started early, this will take sometime. I have to do a few items at a time. BTW , I have the oil drain wired back to the (mid pipe mount) pipe bolt is this ok or should I go all the back to the shock with it? one last thing, know where i could find some pics of various wired items?

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

If you wire the drain plug to the exhaust check the wire from time to time during the weekend. The wire and the vibes tend to break it easier. On the suzukis I use the tab on the oil pan where the bodywork bracket is. I would stay away from shock linkage.

8. Gregg_G

Gregg_G Active Member

There is no such thing as a complete list of parts to safety wire. If it can fall off, it will, and you shouild wire it. Yes, it takes forever, but the guy that left his front fender on the back straight at Road A last year would probably have something to say about that.
    Footpeg plate bolts are important to have, too (I found that one out).
    If you do not have a full time mechanic to check over your bike constantly, you need to wire everything you can get to.

Gregg G

9. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

ft fenders blow off. The bolts break through the glass and whooshh no fender it just happens sometimes

10. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will!) but I didn't think you had to safety wire the brake line bango-bolts? I plan to wire the ones on the front since I am replacing the lines anyhow, but I hadn't planned on touching the rear ones at all. The bike I raced the last couple years didn't have any of the brake line stuff wired...

Also, on the rear axle, does that have to be wired or will just a locking cotter pin work? I may put a wire on it as well, but just curious....

11. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

No on the brake lines and yes on the rear axle.