1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety wire Diagrams

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Buckwild, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Didn't want this to get lost in the other thread...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And that post alone makes this entire sub forum worth the bandwidth! :up:

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

4. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

:stupid:
    That one and other that I found in google are the ones I follow when I did all my bikes :up:

The only thing that I did after breaking a few drill bits was to go one size bigger on on the bits

5. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Ewwwwwww

The link to RC51 images of safety wiring left a lot to be desired.
    The "backwards S" is all good and fine, but the twist should end right at the fastener.
    In the example of the front axle, just end it at the first hole - no need to go all the way through the axle.
    The engine oil drain bolt example is weak also.
    The tutorial is fine, but the examples shown could have been better.

6. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

also, the safety clip on the oil fil, dipstick, and oil drain bolts are no longer allowed.

7. dark6

dark6 cockasaurus

So we have to hard wire them?

8. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

9. dark6

dark6 cockasaurus

huh good to know, I guess off come the clips.

10. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

damn, wonder why the change?

11. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I'll wait until the tech inspector or Mongo tells me to remove the clip on the oil fill. The oil fill cap is the only part that is oil related that can have the clip. The drain plug and oil filter have needed to be fully wired the whole time I've been racing.

It kind of reminds me of the clutch adjustment cover on the Gsx-Rs. I remember Ed Bargy stating at a riders meeting at Nashville that silicone was no longer allowed. The two caps on the right side case cover had to be wired from that point forward. I rarely ever see anyone with them wired. Everyone still uses silicone.

12. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Per the current rulebook, unless the Mongo says otherwise.

a1)Substantial gauge “R” type spring clips may be used in certain applications but must be wired to the machine. Tab washers designed to accept safety wire may be used. Safety pin style clips may be used on most items but NOT on oil drains or oil filters.

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Here is a step-by-step on safety wiring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  14. Nodakgus

Nodakgus Well-Known Member

To GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade - is there a website that has this diagram that could print in larger fonts?

15. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I had such a hard time figuring out how to do my drain plug and oil filter. I think when I race I'm going to just pay to have a pro do all the other bits and pieces.

16. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

As of 2010 the only things required to hard wire are the oil drain and filter.

Everything else oil related can use a clip per the rulebook.

17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Was that our Kenny Duvall that did the write up? Nice work

18. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

how hard is it to drill a hole in a bolt? use patience, good bits, and some cutting oil or wd/40 even to get the job done.

oil filter - use the k/n style and its already got a safety nut on the end for you. from there its just figuring out where to safety wire it to on the bike.

unless you're rich or already on a factory team with dedicated mechanics, that would be a major waste of money IMO.

19. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I had MarMo drill the bolts and use K&N filters. Underneath the bike though I just had the darnest time routing and twisting the wire up. I mean I got it but if I had to figure out how to do another 20 bolts in that kinda fashion I think it would be worth it for me to pay someone and watch how its done correctly. Although I think caliper bolts should be pretty easy.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Is a safety wired hose clamp on the oilfilter, legal?