1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety wire bolts

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Will929, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I run the spec on rear axles due to the driveline, don't want that shit moving. If i have to replace the axle once in a while because the threads wear out that's fine by me. I do the same on the 450r, but the dirty bike is a lot harder on drivetrains that's for damn sure.

blue03R6 likes this.
  2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the rear axle torque holds the swingarm square. the torque does more than just keep the nut tight.

blue03R6 likes this.
  3. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see there are at least 2 of you with a brain in this thread. go with the spec torque on the wheel axles. it's that high for a reason. 80 something is nothing. the R1 is 137 ft/lbs. that one makes you sweat. but I've never had a single issue with all the ones I've done at home(mine) or the yamaha dealer I worked at.
    the problems people have with it is they don't know how to properly use a torque wrench and own a junk wrench that's probably off by 25 ft/lbs. and should let someone else work on their bike. it doesn't crush the bearings. the axle spacers press on the inner race of the bearing. it is hardened steel. much harder than the aluminum spacers that are pressing on it. it doesn't put any kind of load on the balls or the outer race. the weight of the bike does that. anyone that even entertains this thought loses 110% credibility in my eyes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

you shouldn't trust it for good reason,

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

This!!^^^^

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

110 N.m is too high of a torque on the stock rear axle. It's a liability thing. I use that torque on heavy duty quick change axles with acme threads, but you will stretch the threads on the stock axle. At 90 n.m, the axle does not move and you don't stretch threads. So many bikes that come in for chassis work are over tightened.

renegade17 and badmoon692008 like this.
  7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Yep. Totally worth it.

8. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I was ready to call bullshit on this but then got to eat some humble pie this weekend after noticing the brake side of my axle had drifted back quite a bit from where I'd set it at... lesson learned.