1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RVs, but not the kind Broome likes

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jan 29, 2016.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Why would you not? Saving that pleasure for the next owner?

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Now that I know where there is free dumping near by, if I ever score my own RV you can bet I'll be fully utilizing it.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One thing on the black tanks, just remember you don't put a lot in them so unless it's going to sit long enough to dry out, leave the shit in there. It'll break down more and less times you have to mess with it. I dump the gray twice as often as I do both, sometimes 3x more depending on the events we've been to.

panthercity likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

8EDCBE3E-41E1-4B02-BB23-C758B8F03313.jpeg New rig:

panthercity and baconologist like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

It would have to sit for some time for 15-20 gallons to evap through 1.5" pipe. Mine has a flush port and an equalizer gate.
    After I flush the black and drain the gray... I fill both from the black flush valve for a final flush.
    One time someones asshole kid dropped a soda bottle down my toilet. Next event I went to was at Daytona and my dad paid one of those bathroom bandit trucks to empty the tanks... their vac truck pulled the bottle through. The vac truck motor was turning some rpms when the bottle got drawn out. There was the 1/2 full 20oz soda bottle...lol. Was worth the $40 they charged! :D The guy just left the bottle right on the grass!

panthercity and Wheel Bearing like this.
  6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Stay on top of the black tank maintenance 101 stuff and it's a non issue. No way I'd buy a RV and not shit in it, I mean that's like 75% of the reason I bought it in the first place.

panthercity and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup. It's one thing to have your leathers splayed out on your own pooper floor. To have them splayed out in a public restroom or porta-toilet? Never gonna happen. Who wants the inconvenience of completely stripping off their leathers to take a dump? It's third call already! :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mine can sit for a couple of months at a time depending on the race schedule. That's hilarious about the bottle :D

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

10. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Ours will be for sale at the end of this season.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Looking at an 07 Gulf Stream Endura, priced reasonably... any gotchas I should be looking for?

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Also, operating expenses / required maint costs/time needs, hit me. I know it'll cost me $1k each winter to have it winterized and stored somewhere so I don't have to snowblow around it. I've got a local dump station via Cabelas and possibly a campground one even closer. I'm figuring oil / filter changes every fall before winterizing as I won't be hitting the milage targets unless I really up my travel game. The unit I'm considering should have the roof painted/sealed 'cording to the current owner, no leaks yet and I'd prefer to keep it that way. How many years are a set of tires good for that again I wouldn't expect to milage out?

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What chassis? The google image I pulled up showed a GM Topkick. My company used to have one of those with a duramax. 2006. It was a piece of shit.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ford E450, not a super C. 6318, basically a Gulf Stream branded Fun Mover 31D.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

15/20 is another good un.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Five years is what I read. Of course, we haven't kept one that long... ;)

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Michelin says up to 10 years. Others like Toyo or Bridgestone dont really give a timeline just to store tires in a cool dry place away from heat for prolonged life. Id say somewhere between 7-10yrs if properly inflated/covered when not in use. :D

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Guessing tire covers to keep direct sunlight exposure to a min might help a bit there too...

Anyone used an independent RV inspector before? I'm trying to think of any ways to eliminate surprises before locking into a loan and driving 10 hours to discover what I then own.

19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, bought a rig. 2007, 31' class C fun mover. Interior is damn near immaculate, underneath is pristine, I feel bad bringing this rustless virgin up to Maine after it's gone 11 years clean. Motor needs a tune up, and I need to figure out where all my stuff will go, maybe some upgrades, and... yeah. Should be good times.