1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RVs, but not the kind Broome likes

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

congrats! Pics are in order! :D

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

E-450 based? V-10?

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yup, two valver. Pulled codes this evening, random cylinder misfire and cylinder #4 misfire, so I think I found my shudder/perf problem.

38265795_1793362944050194_2108286947528015872_n.jpg 38422923_1293493780791634_2369300777349939200_o.jpg 38085420_1795905093795979_3451923438371864576_n.jpg 38392100_1795905020462653_9009924991310888960_n.jpg 38439937_1795910807128741_3851218782580113408_n.jpg

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I joked with my wife that I finally figured out a name for the rig... we found the unicorn and it looks like it's made from lego... Princess Unikitty it is!

I think she's still trying to figure out if I'm joking or not.

Found one weird spot of corrosion: There is one cross brace under the chassis that has literally turned to dust. It's just the remnants of paint that give it any shape. All the other metal around it is mint?! It's an easy enough spot to get to, shouldn't take much effort to remove and replace but I still want to know why that one spot let go and everything else is untouched?!

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Sacrificial anode?

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

did the previous owner put in the TRS plates and aluminum cargo track?

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yup, so now I need to order a second TRS arm and pins for my R6.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The ramp door was rebuilt, and of course they over did it. Full plywood instead of wood and foam so it's a good chunk heavier than before. The existing assist springs in the hinge aren't cutting it. It has four springs, looks like there is room for two more... how much of a PITA is it to add springs? The bar locks used to have little press in rubber bushings for where the bar pushed against the door to add some preload and keep the metal off the door. The upper ones have long since exited the scene, any idea on where to get replacements or what I can install in their place?

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Can you post pics of the bars and what's left of the rubber?

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just ordered replacement rubber from Steele Rubber company. Ask for a sample pack and they'll mail you a bunch and you can pick the stuff you want.

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Be aware that the E-450 is particular about front-end alignment. If they can't get it to align, or hold and alignment, add one leaf per side to the rear suspension. 5-Star tuning has a worthwhile tune for the v-10.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This x 1 million!

Here's the alignment info: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=40337.0

I added these shocks to my van: https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=1582653

And these helper springs: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B32DBNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the steering damper from the ambulance (you may already have this, if so, replace it because it's shot): http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/ch...rcial-steering-damper-on-2002-ford-e-350-van/

Now it drives like a dream.

panthercity likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So far driving the rig has been sweet, I prefer it to my Highlander, minus the rattles when you roll over a misplaced atom in the road. It's got airbags and I suspect a steering damper but I haven't confirmed the second part. Around town or 80mph on the pike (I'll deny it if asked) it tracked straight and true. Was really not expecting it to be so easy to drive. A five star tune is in the plan, but not till after the engine and transmission are running back to OEM spec with no misfire.

On the rubber bits, turns out they aren't rubber but feel like pex pipe plastic to me?

Attached Files:

panthercity likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably some sort of nylon. Never had door springs like that but can't see why you couldn't put them on all the hinges.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

How different is the E450 from an E350 mechanically? All the service guides I can find cover up to the E350 but never the E450.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think just heavier springs

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Kurlon, does yours have the Onan generator?

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yup, Onan 4000. Apparently the third one for this rig. First two let go very shortly in their life, Onan warrantied them both times. On the third unit the prior owner put a fuel shutoff valve in front of the carb and was religious about letting it run dry after every use. So far the third one has gone twice as long as the first two.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ok, I want the name of whomever thought this was a good idea:

- No house stereo like I've seen with many units, instead the house speakers are driven off the van radio. Want music in your RV? Turn the ignition to ACC so you can use the stereo...

- The power converter only charges the house batteries, not the truck battery. Genny or shore power, no charge back to the truck battery.

So, I guess I need to keep an extension cord handy, plus a batt tender if I want to use the radio?!