1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RV Prices and Financing

Discussion in 'General' started by kiggy74, Sep 3, 2018.

1. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

How in the world can a person tell if they got a good deal on an RV or toy hauler the way these things are randomly priced? The question pertains to both new and used units. I see asking prices that are ridiculous, but no idea what actual selling prices are. Many dealers are listing used units at nearly the same if not more than new prices. Do you have to plan on going to battle with a sales guy in order to get a fair price?

Lastly, 10-15 years financing??? This feels like the same crap you see with student loans pushing up the cost of college. I can't believe that a 35 ft bumper pull toy hauler would go for $35-$40k new if 10+ yr terms were NOT available. What's the best way to buy one of these things? New vs used?

Phl218 likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

interesting point.
    If you peruse the RV forums... 20% seems to be a popular # thrown around.
    I find that to be amusing since passenger cars dont even have those kind of margins.
    Im not even going to pretend to know what deals close at. A HUGE profit center
    seems to be "GAP" insurance and warranties as evidenced by my Dads latest acquisition.
    He showed me his buyers order and I had to bite my tongue about his "good deal".

Finance a rig over $100k... the vig is worse than a shylock! :D

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Used from a private seller that wants out and took the hit.

4. kiggy74

Normally I would agree that this would be the best way to go. Problem though is that people are buying with these crazy long terms. When they go to sell they have to ask damn near what they paid for it because the terms have them so far upside down and they owe way more than it's worth.

418 likes this.
  5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs is good for a guide on used RVs.
    Generally accepted number on NEW RVs is 27~30% off list.
    Now is as good as it gets here in the South. 2019s are hitting the lots and the 2018s have to go. Spring/summer is the worst time to buy.
    A two-year-old RV is generally a better deal then a new one. The first owner has eaten a big part of the depreciation. More importantly, most/some of the problems have been addressed during warranty.
    They ALL have problems. From the cheapest pop-up to tag axle Newels. Visit RV forums. Lots of them. On brand specific forums be VERY aware that people will long in to post their problems/issues/bitches every day. Satisfied owners are too busy/riding/driving/camping their whatever to log in a let everyone know how well it's going.

huckleberry and Jon Wilkens like this.
  6. TurboBlew

I cant think of any other industry that is clouded in such monetary bunk! :D
    So a 1/2 million dollar sticker rig is only worth $350,000?

R/T Performance and kiggy74 like this.
  7. kiggy74

A buddy of mine just bought a gasser RV for just over $100k that originally stickered for $200k. Literally 100% markup.

panthercity, TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  8. Not as bad but similar with boats, I’ve been waiting and waiting and more and more are coming up for sale cheaper and cheaper. Still will try to pick up one that’s an 18 off a tour pro as I know what they have in them and they just want to break even most of the time. Most also come with lots of extras like electronics and misc stuff they will throw in that they got from sponsors. People get in upside down on boats just as bad as RV’s but I don’t think they depreciate quite as much but similar concept when someone needs to get rid of one. Key is finding the right seller who forgets about the large chunk of cash they put down and just want it gone.

panthercity likes this.
  9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Probably not even WORTH that. That's a little more than dealer markup. We bought our Super C direct from the factory. Sure enough, we paid a bit less than the dealerships are selling `em for at they 'discounted' price.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

Um... at least most RVs can be towed with minimal issues. Try that with a dry docked boat not parked at a marina or near water...lol.

11. That’s why you buy a bass boat, plus they are sparkly.

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The above info is pretty accurate.

If you are looking to buy soon...buy now. Many of my customers have or are slowing down, except the FR Greywolf those guys are crazy busy.

Many assembly plants are shut down 1 day (or more a week) for the past couple months. Some manufacturers have even closed lines down. Lots of new units just sitting around the area.

If i was planning to buy a new unit now, especially an '18 or early '19, I would start negotiating for units on a dealer lot at 50% or more off MSRP. And not move up much.
    Be ruthless. Walk away. They will call back.
    Its that bad.

The major RV dealer show is at the end of Sept and we all hope for more orders to come in and the plants will pick up.

Now is definitely the time to buy if your thinking about it. Its been 7 or 8 years since these guys have really slowed and they are starting to talk about '08 again.

Good luck and keep buying so i can go racing again.:D

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

There is not a brand out there that the markup is that high. Either it was used or the dealer was lying about the MSRP.

14. kiggy74

I believe it's an Outlaw brand class A, might have been a model year or two left over. He has the original dealer order sheet showing MSRP at $100k more than he paid.

15. kiggy74

We are planning to go to the Hershey RV show in a couple of weeks. Hoping to score a deal there. If not, I'll wait. Although, at least one dealership I've spoken to was throwing around Trump tariffs claiming that prices on all units are about to go up.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What type/brand/model are you looking for?
    If they give you any BS at the show let them know that you know that a large percent of the factories in the Elkhart area are slow and units are piling up.

17. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I'm glad this thread popped up....

I'm looking for a 5th wheel toy hauler. Something around 40ft.

I've been looking at the Voltage, Fusion, XLR, Endurance and others.

I'll be at the Hershey show as well...

18. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

See details like that make a difference. If it was 2 model years old the dealer will sell at a significant loss just to move it.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Is there a best time of the year to purchase new?

Is there a sweet spot, best bang for the buck, as far as used goes?

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What do you think is a fair price for a 2018 but new Coachmen RV Freedom Express Blast 271BL. ?msrp is 38.8