1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RV heater help

Discussion in 'General' started by vince69007, Sep 22, 2010.

1. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

so its getting time to need the heater while at the track. the furnace in my RV will not fire. the fan comes on and the thermestat works but it wont ignite.

its a:
    suburban manufacturing
    model NT30 M.

anyone ever worked on theirs before?

it looks like a simple enough device, but im not sure what to check in regards to the electrical.

thanks.

2. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Gotta ask... did you check to make sure you have propane in your tank, that the valve is open, and that selector switch is set to the right tank (if so equipped)?

3. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

ya, i got propane, i can smell it if i leave it running long enough. i think i will pull the ignitor out and see if its dirty. ive been looking around online, but have yet to find a wiring diagram for it.

4. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

just to ask: does it have a standing pilot or electronic ignition?

5. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

electronic. i just went out and pulled the ignitor and its not sparking. looking at it im going to have to pull the entire heater out to access the control board.

i changed where it was grounded to test it, and it still doesnt spark. the heater was unplugged when i went to start it. the previous owner said that he only used the heater once, and it was quite a few years ago, so its been sitting unplugged for a few years.

6. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

you might check the sail switch. When the blower comes on it blows a sheet metal sail which closes a switch. That switch has to close before the gas comes on and the igniter fires. Otherwise the fan will shut off after a minute or so.

If the heater sat up it could have a stuck sail from god knows what kind a critter/bug crawled into the heater.

7. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

where do i find that? there is next to 0 room to work on this thing. i may end up capping off the line and taking it right out to work on it.