1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTV sealant on chain or safety wire

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by ducati culture, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ducati culture

ducati culture If it involves mud iam in.........

Greetings All,
    These are my two choices per sandy hook raceway. The black stuff is on its way to the house and I have some safety wire. Does anyone have a link or a photo of what either looks like I cant find it. I heard of this mystery video for the RTV sealant called Flash's maintenance video but I cant find that either dc

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I loop safety wire around the master link clip and then put a dab of silicone over the wire to prevent it from vibrating off. Long time trick for any motorcycle which doesn't have a rivet style master link. If you don't dab silicone over the safety wire, it will vibrate and break, thereby becoming a deadly article to any tire in the vicinity. Wire it like the pic below, then dab some silicone on the wire between the two pins.
    [​IMG]

ducati culture likes this.
  3. ducati culture

AWESOME..... THANK YOU!

4. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Skip the safety wire. Just use a dab of Shoe Goo. Find it in the shoe department at Wally World. It works great.

Shenanigans likes this.
  5. ducati culture

Another lovely visual aid not my work....

Attached Files:

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Wire it or install it correct....

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I use the orange stuff on all my master links. I don't do it to secure anything, it's simply to make them more readily identifiable for pre/post-ride checks. If master links are installed properly, they don't come undone. That's not to say a strike from trail debris can't/won't take one out but I'd say the chances of that were astronomically lower than having an improperly installed link. Taking the time to wire or goop the link might be the instance of discovery...

8. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

People underestimate how strong that shit is.

Useless fact of the day, it's standard issue at US Army Sniper School for ghillie suit construction.