1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rrr 5/31-6/1

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by jramsey8258, Jun 4, 2014.

1. jramsey8258

jramsey8258 Member

I did my race school and first races this past weekend at RRR, and have to say it far passed my expectations.

My background: I started doing trackdays at the end of last July so I could become a better street rider. After getting bit by the track bug I sold my street bike to help fund tack days. About 6 weekends in I decided I wanted to try racing when my skills got better. I did a couple more track days and felt comfortable enough to sign up for the race school. I did look at lap times, but it was more of a "am I confident I can hold a steady line" and making sure I wouldn't be a safety hazard.

Race School: I'm not a good test taker and I knew that going in. So I borrowed an Ed Bargy book from a friend to study up on the flags and starting procedures. The instructor had a lot of helpful info, not just the safety part but racing in general. The first couple practice laps were nerve racking, it was just me not wanting to do something stupid. The next practice session I felt much better and started picking my pace up. The test was not difficult at all and the teacher covered everything.

Mock Race: Right after second call I headed out for the mock race. The warm up/sighting lap went well and I felt great as I gridded up. I had the biggest shiteating grin under helmet as I got into my spot. I took a moment to clear my mind and remember how the boards went. Once I relaxed I kept thinking "more gas less brake into T1", "don't stall", "don't wheelie", "breathe", "relax", and then "oh whats that green thing he's waving". Ended up double wheeling off the start. That start was the biggest adrenaline rush I've ever had. Once I got turned in to T1 everything calmed down and I could focus on my braking and turn in markers. Before I knew it the checkered flag was out and I felt a huge rush of relief that I can completed it and hadn't had any major issues. I had come in second out of four riders.

1st "real race" A SuperStock: I was gridded in the back row, which I was glad of. Board dropped and I lagged bad off the start. With the bad start and grid position I was last going into T1. At that point I realized exactly how fast the fast guys were. I knew I couldn't catch them, so I decided I would just try to keep up the best I could. By the time I saw the checkered flag I knew my pace was a little quicker than I had done in the mock race but had no idea of my times. I was proud that I kept my friend John in sight throughout the entire race. When I got back to my pits I honestly didn't care I had finished last, I knew that would most likely happen going into it. My fastest lap of that race was a 1:21.1. That was 4 seconds faster than my mock race and 10 seconds faster than the last time I was at RRR, I was stoked!

2nd race Formula 1: I was about in the same grid spot. Ended up botching the start, but kinda caught up going into 1. About a lap in I got to make my first good pass. The other racer drifted wide going into turn 4, I saw the opportunity and snagged the inside line. The rest of the race was I spent trying to hit my markers. Ended up 16 out of 17, not great but I was content.

Things I learned and other comments:

Have fun, if you aren't you are doing something wrong.

Make sure to bring a friend with you. I was luck enough to have 3 people in my pits; myself, another racer, and one to help both of us.

Have your bike prepped and ready to go when you get there. We had gone over my bike the week before to make everything was ready, that took a lot of stress off.

HYDRATE! I had no idea how quickly I would get dehydrated.

Get to know your bike. This was only my second day on the bike I ran, an 07 GSXR1000. I think if I had more time on it I could have finished better.

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

congrats on a good weekend. :up: