1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Round 5 |Komatsu MotoAmerica Superbikes at the Ridge | Aug 28 - 30

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Aug 25, 2020.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The final surface has been in work for 8+ years. The track generates issues for motorcycles by addressing car driver issues (adding armco, moving obstacles, and changing the layout at turn 13/top of the ridge to placate the car club drivers). It will be interesting to see what direction the managers go regarding MA requests and demands; as in "requirements" versus "objectives" for next year's race.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

How has T13 changed over time?

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I gotta agree. SDK figured he was the heir apparent in supersport and is crying like a bitch about a bike that's been out since 2013 and nobody was able to or interested in making go. Ritchie is riding the wheels off that thing, that's why he's winning, not 37cc's.
    If that Kawi is so hot it's basically a cheater bike, why isn't everyone that isn't factory supported on one?
    "The trannys are shit!"
    "The front chatters like a jackhammer!"
    "It's an unfair advantage!"

Square that for me. :D

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

They pushed the entrance a little deeper to create a sharper turn, which makes it a stop instead of flow. This makes it tougher to initiate a safe pass or to carry any speed through the turn. They didn't change any of the subsequent curbs, so it's stop, turn, shoot down the hill, which can be awkward, and the sharper turn requires harder braking over a couple of speed humps, which causes instability, and there is nothing for runoff, which isn't good.

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Copy that; thanks. Indeed, watching the races, the entrance seems very awkward and made for no flow whatsoever.

Gixxerguy855 and jksoft like this.
  6. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

It looked like a blast for a track to ride but wasn’t that fun to watch on TV.

7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I felt like the camera shot would show 1 or 2 riders for about a second or two, and then jump to the next camera and the next one and I couldn’t really get a sense of where they were or even focus on a rider long enough to see what’s going on with the bike or his riding style. So the thought crossed my mind that it was hard to follow on the TV.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

They're never going to do the next lift. It makes money now, and that shit will cost millions and millions of dollars. 4 wheeled dweebs can do their "performance driving events" on that surface and never give a rat's ass.

pscook likes this.
  9. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

While I do enjoy the pessimism, the manager said the new surface was being applied shortly so maybe there is hope

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'll ping my friend as his wife does a lot of the ground design in Mason County. He should hear about it early and I'll share here when I find out. I'm interested as well, because i has been promised for years. And years.

If you look closely at the inside curbs, you see where they built up the pavement as the final lift would transition to the curbing. They seem the update the filler every season or two. Like @Knotcher points out, why mess with a winning strategy?

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

13. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I just went to Utah this past weekend for a trackday plus USBA racing. That facility is AWESOME. Garages are clean, facility is clean, the track is fun.

I heard through some local vendors that an offshore company purchased it and hired a dumbass as the operations manager. She’s soon to get the axe in hopes that they bring back MA/WSBK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbulence likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The manager is a moot point in getting any spectator event there. What the locals don't want to understand is they are in the middle of nowhere. SLC isn't a big enough city to support a large event. The next nearest metro area is Denver. It's just way too far for anyone to go there and spectate no matter how great it is for the riders and even though it is actually great for fans too.

evakat likes this.
  15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yup, brilliant track in BFE. I enjoyed racing WERA there years ago but you need racers and fans to get an event going, a cool track is only one leg of the stool.

16. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

This. As an east coast transplant, SLC is a metro area of 1.2mil people. Denver is the next closes at 9 hours away with 2.8 mil. There just isn't enough people in this part of the country to make it work. Combined, they're still 2/3 as big as Atlanta, Philly, etc.

SDK is a Gen Z'er... Millennials are like 26-36yo now. Roger Hayden would be like an old Millenial, Cam would be the youngest of them.

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

What happened with pikes peak raceway down in co springs ? Too unsafe ? Never been but drive by it all the time

18. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I can feel the frustration.

20. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I honestly believed that they would ride the cheap money train until the train tracks plummeted into the ravine due to no bridge. However, evidence that paving has commenced:
    [​IMG]