1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Round 5 already Elkhart lake AMA SPOILER

Discussion in 'General' started by chadspaint, May 30, 2012.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Looked like he was trying to crank the throttle up to 11

2. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Young first waved Herrin by, then did the throttle antics. IMO it was pretty dumb move on his part. He could have been on a MotoGP bike and would have had nothing for Hayes... just accept it and move on. No need to make a joke of your crew/machinery.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Both of them were dogging it, neither wanted to lead into the last lap/last turn because it's so easy to pass on the brakes and/or draft passed at the finish line there. I think Peter Doyle said both of their lap times were almost 3 seconds off the last two laps.

4. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

not bad for a guy thats under the weather, could you imagine if he felt good what kind of lead he would have pulled?

the weather up there sucked, june first and i had to wear a winter coat, sunday it was warmer, but its always windy in that part of the country

brian gibson from riders discount made his ama debut this weekend in SS

5. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

IMO those without Speed2 missed the best 2 races of the weekend!

6. chris.c

chris.c Well-Known Member

Give young a break, "he doesn't have fly by wire" :rolleyes:

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

You caught that whole discussion too, eh?

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

They were also saying how outdated the GSXR platform is, yet the R1 was introduced the same year.....

9. 2OLD2SLOW

2OLD2SLOW Well-Known Member

Same year? Really? I'm a Yamaha/Hayes fan, but I'm not sure I remember the last major revision to the GSXR...

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You know it's funny. Showroom stock, the GSXR will kick the R1's ass all over the place (and does in club racing around the world) but at the top levels, the zook just doesn't have it. I wonder what gives.

11. 2OLD2SLOW

Up until this season even the top 10 in AMA SBK would typically feature 6-8 Suzuki's and they appeared pretty competitive in the hands of a few privateers, so just how much does it cost to build a competitive Yamaha? You gotta wonder... A privateer Kawasaki looked strong this weekend, but privateer Yamahas just don't exist!

12. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

I agree speed2 rocks,my cable hook up quit after the first two laps Saturday of the SS race and then never got live streaming to work on Sunday while my Internet still worked elsewhere just fine.

not complaining as I love getting the racing thats the most exciting on an AMA weekend

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The only ones I've ever seen were the Clark/Palms bikes a couple of years ago but those were Graves bikes too. I'm curious if any of the Yamaha WSBK budget has made it's way to Chuck:rolleyes:

14. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

His antics were before they started dogging it if I recall correctly.

15. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I just bought a 2012 R1, so I'm curious myself:D But seriously, even Hayes' R1 trap speed was 10+mph DOWN on top speed compared to the Suzuki and some of the other bikes at Miller. It's not that chuck graves builds a magic 220hp motor. I think the R1 Simply puts the power to the ground better, and in the hands of Graves and Hayes, the overall package is just better.

16. 2OLD2SLOW

Yup! Better package and best rider IMHO, but putting it to the ground better is making a HUGE difference. Where I get confused a little is based on the fact that they had those same attributes last year, but Blake still won more races! So to be this dominant this season, how much does it have to do with electronics ensuring they get it to the ground better, and what isbthe cost of those electronics..? Again, ZERO privateer Yamahas? How much does it cost to make one run like Josh's?

17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

A metric fuck ton (in Euros, mind), plus maintenance and a shitty transmission that needs to be looked after. Ultimately, Josh just works harder than any other rider in the AMA paddock, and there's no doubt in my mind that Blake works hard too. It's just Josh doesn't seem like he takes a day off, ever.

18. 2OLD2SLOW

:up::up::up::up:
    :up: Best package, best rider IMHO. Oh yeah, I already said that! The shift toward dominance that one year made is still amazing...

19. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I want to know if they are using a reprogrammed version of the stock traction control system, or if it is completely different. Josh never used TC before this year, but now that the '12 bike comes with it stock, I wonder if this is what prompted his change.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/269/5208/Motorcycle-Article/Hayes-Yamaha-YZF-R1-Superbike-Review.aspx

That's circa 2009 though......there's probably more (more expensive too) go fast bits since then I'd imagine.

They dump the ECU for a Magneti Marelli