1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotor questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mechanize, May 24, 2017.

1. Mechanize

Mechanize Well-Known Member

cbr600rr 2005

Currently I use 1000rr rotors. It's time for new rotors as mine are beginning to warp.

1st question. Any preferred brand? I get really good deals on EBC stuff so I was thinking about them. I've been happy with the gpfax pads. Thoughts on their rotors?

2nd question. Should I just buy 1000rr sized rotors when upgrading? Is there any reason to go back to 600 size? (other than its its a pain in the ass to check PSI without burning my hands on hot rotors cuz they are bigger... lol)

3rd question. When swapping wheels do you guys just swap rotors too in order to keep the pads paired up with the rotors? I was swapping in wheels with different rotors and I think it killed the life of my pads pretty quick.

2. I wish we could make it sticky but this sums it up from another thread:

Braking, Brembo, OEM or Galfer for brand. I don't have a relevant opinion on your rotor size. And I don't swap rotors when I swap wheels, I haven't killed pads any faster. I don't trust swapping rotor bolts more than twice, so I would never do that.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have at least 5 front wheels, all have a set of rotors on them. it's no issue unless one of the rotor rings are dished from running way too long. put a new pad on the rotor surface, if you don't see daylight in the middle (looking at the front or rear of the pad in direction of rotor ) you will be just fine. Dishing of a rotor is common on dirt bike rotors, not so much on a roadrace bike rotor..

4. Mechanize

Mechanize Well-Known Member

Damn, they are that bad? Is this the general consensus or just 1 or 2 guys with bad luck?

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I really like their brake pads :)

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So far I'm very pleased with the three GoldFren rotors I'm testing out. Cost is decent and I like rotor buttons that can be torn down and reassembled.

7. I own my shop and I've worked for a few others. Every single EBC rotor that comes out of the box is bent. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Mechanize likes this.