1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotor hone

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 50Joe, Mar 22, 2020.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

What is your preferred rotor hone for motorcycle brake discs? Grit level? Size? Source?

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

BrakeTech. Though, I’ve similar units on Amazon, as well.

50Joe likes this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Diamond knife sharpening hones. They work really well.

50Joe likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I use the foam sanding block the Kurvey Girl sends with your brake pad order.

5. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

E Reed, ducnut, 50Joe and 1 other person like this.
  6. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Scotchbrite/brake cleaner

or simple green (or alike). Do you all clean your rotor buttons and get debris out of them as well (cleaning, brushing, spinning buttons, compressed air)?

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I don't think Scotchbrite and brake cleaner works well enough. But, I'm very OCD. I used to have access to a bead blaster but don't anymore hence my post. I've heard the brake rotor hones work well and get the job done pretty quickly and easily.

Britt likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Pro tip: Hone with discs on mounted wheels, calipers removed, bike on stands. Proper ~10° angle can be offset in or out to drive wheel into autorotation.
    Reverse disc's mounting to do the insides.

50Joe likes this.
  9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Wheels and frame are out for powder coating so the whole bike is in pieces. I'll give it a go on a workbench. Any tips for angles or motion to get best results and a consistent surface?

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Build a stand out of 2x4's and an old wheel, to spin them.
    I spin them on the lathe and use a slow old electric drill to spin the rotorhone..it is dwell time not pressure that makes them work.

50Joe likes this.
  11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Good to know. Maybe I'll just wait until the bike is built back up and do it then. I even gave away a static wheel balance stand to a friend after I got hurt. That would have come in handy for this too.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's recommended to hold the hone 10° off perpendicular. Slow speed and light pressure, like cross-hatching a cylinder. Let the hone's rotation slowly feed the disc's rotation, 3-5 seconds/disc revolution.
    Take your time and the right technique will come to ya.

Oops. Your discs are unmounted? Try to get over the top of the discs vertically (set them on a flat surface on your lap?). Rotate the discs 120° or so every now and then to promote more even overall abrasion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Britt, JTRC51 and 50Joe like this.