1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rothman's RC30

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by boccarp, Oct 28, 2007.

1. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

I have some detailed photos of the Two Brothers RC that Spencer rode to victory at the Miami GP at the start of his "big comeback". One thing that was pretty cool is they drilled a hole in the swingarm and ran the rear brake hose all the way through it. Very clean.

2. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

Yeah, Dale said the same to me. It was a funny combination, but they usually did well.

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That was a pretty easy thing to do. I did it to my Hawk when I raced it.

Maybe the long forks were good for the woop section at the old school tracks

4. Gron4

Gron4 I'm in your house

Wow! Pure Awesome

5. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

Those forks were from a RS500 GP bike. They were factory only pieces. Yes the wheels on my RC30 are dymags.

6. mcracr

mcracr 2smoke racing 4 life!

PM Sent

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

This one?

[​IMG]

I have always really liked the rc30, that rothmans is beautiful. Since I may never ride/own one I guess the RC46 will have to do for now.

8. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I think I'll ride my RC30 to work tomorrow.:)

9. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Interesting how close the 2 Bros Rc30 paint scheme was to the "Doohan Reggae" helmet and boots scheme

10. boccarp

Anyone know where that Two Brother's bike is?

11. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

It's at the Barber Museum.

12. boccarp

anyone have any photos of those RVF ENDURANCE RACERS...I'm changing the headlights on this bike to look like to endurance racer

13. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

:) Pretty sure John Hilton has it...

14. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Kanemoto knows his shit! We have two RC30's in our shop right now for show/restore. One is vin #3 ! and has 1400 miles, all stock. the other is vin #13 and has 3000 miles and is MINT! they look soo cool. plus lighter than you expect a 20yr old bike to be!

15. boccarp

I'd sell everything but always keep the RC30's. The rest are all wannabee bikes. :rock:

16. boccarp

that even includes the RC45's that I have. 20years old and still one of the first bikes I go to when its time for a rip.

17. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

18. Evill Ed

Evill Ed Member

Nice bike Boccarp. I know quite a bit about your RC30, I was part of the build team for that RC30. Here are some scanned pictures (with me 16 years ago) of it at the International Motorcycle show at the Jacob Javitz Center, NY in 1991(?) I did all of the paint and bodywork on the bike as well as some assembly. I can fill you in on all I remember here or in a PM, let me know,

Regards,
    Ed

BTW - in the last picture in the upper left, you can see part of the Klymenko-Flow banner. Also in the background is the FZR1000 that I think Toecutter418 referred to inhis earlier post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  19. boccarp

Ed..you sure its the same bike? The body paint is a little different and my bike has a different pipe, brembo calipers. I know the guy I bought it from Alex Wong in New Canaan Ct had a lot of different bikes. Was wondering if this is my bike prior to a crash. My bike only had 38 miles on it when I got it from him. The head is inscribed with Kymenko's name. I sure would like to know more about the origins of the motor. Wether it really had 38 miles on it, what internal HRC stuff is in it, and who built it. The motor ran awesome for about 150 miles then spun a bearing. Chip and Kevin down at KWS are rebuilding it for me right now. Those guys are cool down there....Let me know about this old girl....

20. Evill Ed

Evill Ed Member

"Ed..you sure its the same bike? The body paint is a little different and my bike has a different pipe, brembo calipers. I know the guy I bought it from Alex Wong in New Canaan Ct had a lot of different bikes. Was wondering if this is my bike prior to a crash. My bike only had 38 miles on it when I got it from him. The head is inscribed with Kymenko's name. I sure would like to know more about the origins of the motor. Wether it really had 38 miles on it, what internal HRC stuff is in it, and who built it. The motor ran awesome for about 150 miles then spun a bearing. Chip and Kevin down at KWS are rebuilding it for me right now. Those guys are cool down there....Let me know about this old girl...."

Yup, I’m sure it is the same bike. I painted a lot of bikes and parts for Alex Wong, he was a good customer. BTW – Alex had owned 2 or 3 of them (RC30’s).

The bike was built at JW Racepart in Garfield NJ. Joel Weininger owned the shop. Eugene ran Klymenko-Flow out of the same building. My shop, Backstreets Cycle Refinishing, was 2 blocks away. That RC30 had a full HRC race kit on it. That bike did have some miles on it, but not a lot. The 38 miles you got it with are probably right. Alex only rode it a few times, one time with Dunlop Slicks on the street (against our advice) and dumped it, hence the difference in the bodywork. When I did the original body in my pics, it was all Airtech (?) fiberglass. I needed to cut out for the race kit radiator and steering damper. I also molded in air scoops on the upper fairing, you can see the aluminum ducts going to the radiator. After Alex fell, I repainted the stock fairings with the Rothmans theme. I did the stock tail section over on it again too. The original tail section in my pics was an Airtech piece with the foam HRC Pad on it. The tank may be the only original paint work, that I did, left on it.

Eugene did the heads on the motor. The stock crank was lightened by Falicon, I remember the engine had a choppy idle and revved very quickly. The pistons and cams were from the HRC race kit if I remember correctly. I’m trying to remember what was done with the carbs, I think they were either from the HRC race kit or that Eugene may have bored (ported them). The trans gears were undercut, I think by Orient Express. We tried at least 2 different pipes on the bike, and I think the pipe was changed after the NYC show. I remember adding the Dymags. Trying to remember the brakes, I’m pretty sure that the master cylinder was an AP, but I do not remember the calipers.

The frame was sanded, smoothed and polished by Chris Wyckoff. We all spent some time turning wrenches trying to get it done for the show. Joel did most of the assembling on that bike. There was a lot of money in that project. I think the bill was $30K, not including the cost of the RC30 itself. A lot of money, especially in 1991.

I though that it was dyno'd at JW Racepart on a Dynojet and seem to remember 130 HP being the number.

I’m certain that this is the bike you have. If so, the engines internals will have those choice pieces in it.

It’s funny, I ran across this post yesterday while doing a search for Eugene. It was pretty cool to see that RC30 again. Good luck with it and enjoy it, it is a really cool bike.

Regards,
    Ed

BTW- anyone know where Eugen is these days or a contact number?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007