1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolling tool cart trailer transport

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Recently picked up a 30" Harbor Freight 5 drawer cart for track duty. Been googling and seeing how people are strapping these things down for transport.

Ideally, it would be a system that doesn't involve ratchet straps. I can easily add a few D rings and maybe bolt some eye bolts into the frame of the cart. I'm trying to figure out some kind of Pitbull TRS style setup, or something that uses turn buckles, etc.

Found this thread but it looks like the picture links are broken, and the lack of imagination for me doesn't see what he's referring to.

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/tool-chest-in-the-trailer.141589/page-2

Anyone want to share their methods of strapping these down for transport in their toy hauler/trailer?

2. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I like the idea of angle iron mounted to the wall, that mates up with the legs of the cart, with holes in each.

I have the same HF cart. I just put some E track on the wall and strap to it.

gapman789 and Philip Mirgliotta like this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Not opposed to wall mounted stuff, but trying to avoid it if I can. I'm more comfortable drilling into the floor than the walls of the toy hauler

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I was thinking a bracket that mounts to the cart legs and bolt to the floor with nutzerts. Nutzerts are how I secure my wheel chock in my trailer. Makes for easy removal and replacement as needed.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  5. Wheel Bearing

That's the route I was thinking of going. I have some ideas in my head...will see how it plays out if nobody else has a better idea in the mean time.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of that kind of stuff I've always done e-track down both walls at about 3' off the floor and just use the clip in d rings and straps. That way I can rearrange depending on what I'm hauling since there is a ton of stuff that travels great strapped to the wall from tool boxes to ez-ups to 5 gallon buckets (in a stack) even pit chairs and tables.

Ducati89, Trainwreck and backbone like this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Will this be a "portable" cart (rolling it out during the day, secured at night), or a "semi-permanent" (kept in the trailer during the race weekend)? This distinction will dictate the methods.

I had a generacket generator with an external frame secured in my open trailer with ramp mounted hinges. I bolted the hinge to the ramp, then "opened" the hinge to 90* and used a ball lock pin through the hinge and generator frame. When the generator was in the trailer the hinge acted like an L Bracket, and when the generator was out the hinge folded flat. It did not move at all, even with a little slop in the hinge and lock pin interface.

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Buy a used pit bull trs and make something custom. Seems like it would be easy if you don’t mind drilling a couple holes in the bottom of the box.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

was thinking like a big magnet like they use in truck yards to pickup nails and other ferrous debris. Mount on wall.

10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I have the same cart. I made "wheel chocks" out of angle iron for the wheels against the wall and strap it to the wall with the e-tracks. Chocks are bolted to the floor. They only stick up about an inch.

lightning97 likes this.
  11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I use e-track on the wall and two straps. Works great, but not what you’re looking for.

Philip Mirgliotta likes this.
  12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

One of the local guys, Sam Graves, did just that with his toolbox and it was pretty legit. Didn’t move and it was a nice setup

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have just used the drings screwed in the walls with a tie down and locked the wheels...never had a issue in 3 years... Gary Virgin has a sweet TRS set up on his I was admiring..but it's a much bigger box than mine..

15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

What the Mongo said. Thats my set up currently.

16. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

@Wheel Bearing what did you end up going with?

Just bought the same cart. Getting anxiety about the idea of strapping it to the wall of a brand-new toyhauler. Was thinking I'll just use a moving blanket to protect the box and trailer walls, and use toe downs in d-rings already installed in floor.

17. Wheel Bearing

Either the links were broken in the provided replies or I thought the idea sucked, so I made my own. I was limited mostly on patience, and threw together an idea that works damn well and likely won't be changing it as long as I have the trailer. I put this together in about 4 hours, and it's all made out of 2"x2" angle iron that I welded with my $100 stick welder. My floor plan layout makes this location the perfect spot for the tool box. I don't always roll out the toolbox every weekend, so it's not in the way if it stays there. The bracket is bolted to the floor and it's no problem to roll the toolbox out. Two hitch clips and it's secured in the trailer.

Once I get back from Iraq and settled in, I plan to fab up and eventually "distribute for a small fee" a setup that'll work with a Pitbull base plate.

245936533_10227113428566764_2657368249597771603_n.jpg

E Reed, RichB and Greenhound386 like this.
  18. Greenhound386

Looks pretty slick! I wish I knew how to weld; I'd pretty much copy exactly what you did. I'd be interested in whatever you fab up that might work with the Pitbull TRS.

I just bought a new 5th wheel toyhauler, and despite way more room than my previous bumper pull, I am having a helluva time figuring out how to secure stuff. The d-rings in the floor from the factory are in terrible spots for my particular needs. I'm realizing the Pitbull TRS is my best option and will just need to get over the fact that I'm gonna have to cut the insulation underneath to get at the bolts. Based on a search, looks like you went through the same exercise back in 2014, haha.

19. Greenhound386

I should add that another complication is having stuff permanently mounted to the floor. I've only had the new 5th wheel for a month, and I already regret not getting a separate garage. The Pitbull TRS can easily be removed so that just the flat plate is there and can be covered by carpet. I'm trying to figure out how to get this huge toolbox in there and secure it with something that can easily be removed. I'm just going to have to go heavy on the tie-downs until I figure out something better.

20. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Don't strap it to the walls. We did that with our toolboxes and both walls came lose from the floor. Now we are having to fix the walls popping out.