1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Atlanta MotoAmerica july 31-

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know exactly where and what you mean. One of if not the scariest places at that track for me, seen too much there and there's no way to fix it.

Brad and 418 like this.
  2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol I thought you were asking what kind of lap times they were running.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't even remember what our guys run at any track. I'll pay attention to times during a race, love the data, love watching sector times and such but I retain none of that info past the checkers :crackup:

henry_carlson likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Well there are rules for Q and if you miss the time you miss it. And ofcourse MA did get their entry fees, and to get to the Q session they probably bought at least 1 or 2 sets of tires, so money is being made.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I feel the same when I see a student 8-10 years later and I can’t remember his/her name. :D

6. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Ha, love Rog taking an extra lap on the Cardo Systems demo lap with CU!

7. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Shout Out to Blake Davis - P9 in his MA debut at 14 years old. Ran P5 for a portion of the race while mixing it up with more experienced Racers. Impressive debut. Go Blake!

8. That’s about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Maybe you should put a note in the suggestion box for participation trophies and also have MotoAmerica bring a sod rate hauler that’s set up for a safe space for the riders. Lapped traffic is bad enough as it is and yes it’s part of racing but not the good part of it. Think it was the 600 race yesterday when SDK and Eselante were coming out of 10, one lap per kept his line other darted to the right, thought for sure he was going to get ass packed. What you should say is how about the people that show up to race show up prepared enough to qualify within the rules, which are petty standard throughout the world.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Shocker likes this.
  9. And went back and looked through results, I’m assuming either you or one of your buddies tried to qualify in the twins class? I’m sorry but over 9.5s off the leaders pace is bad enough then add another 5-6 bikes that are 10-13s off the pace and increase the danger by even more lap peers but slower ones at that? That’s going to improve the racing? There are also some exceptions I believe that they will let you in on practice time if you had an issue in the q session but if you are going to show up at a race to qualify be prepared to f ing qualify. I think it’s totally idiotic to even state what you are stating, maybe add a bunch of shit that pops up on the track, give certain fans times to launch at the riders, make it a random obstacle course.

Gino230 and kirk erlinger like this.
  10. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

whew! you ok man?

Circacee likes this.
  11. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

So do they add weight to Alexander now? Hahahahaha

12. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

of course not.. the same thing happened last round.. i can’t remember if it was peterson or alexander but the margin of victory was larger than PJ’s was when they penalized him.

it would be nice if they were consistent with their “rules”

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Need a mydol?

And nope, no one that I am part of in twins anymore, so guess again.

And again lap traffic is part of racing. Get the fuck over that. We always say how the fastest and best guys will be at the front. That's true, again, lap traffic don't just show up in the blink of an eye. Racers that have enough talent to run up front, can see the lap traffic. Yes motoamerica should make it very very clear to hold the line if you are fixing to get lapped. Yes EVERYONE flagger wise (including all corner workers etc etc) should wave the blue flag for soon to be lapped guys.

But I'd rather see 20 bikes on the grid, rather than 15. And to not let someone in because they are . 002 off the cut off is fucking stupid. Not saying anyone was this weekend, but it's fucking dumb. Ofcourse like someone said earlier, motoamerica already has their money, so fuckem I guess.

I think the fuckem attitude is part of what's hurting bike racing to begin with. You know, the, you will agree with me or you won't race......ya that shit is ignorant.

14. No there are a set of rules and a cutoff time. Should we let novices grid up? What do you consider acceptable as far as lap times to fill these grids? The more you open that up you will still have people miss the cutoff. No I don’t need a Mydol I just think filling the grids with back markers makes it worse for the fans not better. The casual fan watching gets confused as f@ck when back markers are in the mix. It’s a part of racing but the shitty part. Let’s punish the well prepared (bike, rider, etc) for the ones not prepared. Curious and serious question, how old are you? Sounds very much like you are a millennial and not joking about that.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. And not letting someone in because they are 0.002 off are the rules. That’s like going through post race tech and you have a part that’s just slightly illegal. If you can demonstrate in practice you had a consistent pace below the cut off time and just had a bad q session they will discuss that with you. If your one and only fastest lap was still below the cutoff time you weren’t yet prepared to race. Entry fees are paid with a known set of rules in place, they are known going in so wby should the org bend the rules? Filling the grid with back markers does NOTHING for quality or racing.

16. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Lol at millennial.

I'm 43.

I understand where you are coming from. But here is something to ponder. We want American racing. We want a huge and very successful American pro series. We want fans, we want money, and we want factories. We can agree on that. I think if you are an expert racer, let's lee wera and ccs. You have been an expert for let's say 1 year. Let's say you have accumulated many points. And you want to try your hand at 600ss. You go, you miss the cutoff by let's say .3 seconds... Now,
    Look at and no I have zero affiliation with these next people I'm going to mention or use their names...

Chuck Ivey.. very very consistent front runner in wera. Any and every track. Let's use him, matt Buffett, Daniel Payne, for this convo. Look at the times from previous road Atlanta rounds from wera. And look at the times this weekends pro race. Ivey BARLEY made it in. If someone is off just a hair let's say Payne, who we know kicks ass in 600ss wera, is off just a little, and can't really get it sorted, so he misses cutoff by .5 of a second.

How in the hell are we suppose to get more riders on the pro grid?

It's not always about how well you qualify. Look at Caleb Odom last year's barber motoamerica race. His first or 2nd year expert, qualified what 20th? With a 106hp motor. Was running 10th or 11th when he fell down in a very tight battle with 3 other racers.

The cutoff shouldn't be the end all be all.

And with that said, since you are so hell bend of fuck the backmarkers, should wera implement a cutoff line also? You know cause it don't make for good racing and shit...

17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Haven't kept up with this post at all and only started reading at page 11. As Dirty Harry said "A man's got to know his limitations." Before I was injured I could qualify within 10% of the Twins times. I'd be a grid filler and back marker and possibly even lapped since the class has gotten much faster the last two years. Would I spend a large chunk of money to potentially make the grid just so I can say I raced a MotoAmerica race weekend? That's a big negative for me. My ego doesn't need that stroking. I'd just stay in club racing where my ability level belongs. But hey, everyone is different and needs to make decisions for themselves. I do agree the rules are the rules and they shouldn't be flexible.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The cutoff is what it is. Should MA let someone in who missed it by .05, but say No to someone that missed it by .1? They can't do that. Where does it end?

This is pro racing. If you can't make the cut, you try harder next time and come better prepared. Its pretty simple, really.

badmoon692008 and cajun636 like this.
  19. 418

418 Expert #59

Is it just me or do the stands look decently packed? EZ ups along the back straight, the hill looks full.

They had a billboard off of I285 for weeks and that thing must get thousands of views per day. Wonder how many new fans showed up?

Yzasserina likes this.
  20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Did you seriously just use someone who crashed out of a Pro race to justify letting more club racers grid up?