1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Tom Wegman

Discussion in 'General' started by stk0308, Jun 9, 2012.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

http://thegazette.com/2012/06/09/popular-iowa-city-artist-dies-at-age-81/
    http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012306090027

Some of you older guys and gals might remember him. His crash at a Blackhawk Farms race in 1986, and subsequent paralysis, were the reason the Wegman Benefit Fund was started. Which them turned into The Red Flag Fund.

Tom was a good family friend, a business partner to my father, and the one that talked my hare scrambling dad into this wacky world of road racing. He had an eccentric taste in motorcycles. I'll always remember him for his love of Vincents. In fact it was an Egli framed Vincent that took him to a top 10 points finish in the AMA Battle of the Twins modified production class in the early 80's. After "seeing himself across the intersection" one day on his R100RS, and declairing it would be the LAST time. He proceeded to create his own body work. He start out with stiff paper stock, wire, and modeling. Once his vision was made real he had a friend lay it up in proper fiberglass. When was done he had indeed created a one of a kind BMW look. Somewhere between a classic MV Agusta, and the R100RS that was the base for the artwork.

His spirit and will were something to behold, even before the crash. After the crash it only got more resilient. His first few thoughts in the hospital bed, after hearing the diagnosis, was to plot getting hand controls fitted into a van, to get mobile. And start looking into how to make a sidecar rig for his wheelchair. All before he really knew whether he'd be able to sit up or not. Tom lived a number of full lives in his time. I can only hope to emulate the smallest shadow he cast.

2. apex134

apex134 Well-Known Member

Very sad news. What a tremendous legacy he's left behind.

Rest in peace, racer.

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Rest in Peace.

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

RIP.

5. trancework

trancework It's always now...

6. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

7. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

I was familiar with the name, but not the man or the story.

Rest In Peace, Racer.

8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Farewell. We are diminished.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

Godspeed.

10. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Godspeed Tom.

My father and I both raced against Tom. I was at Blackhawk that day, not in that race. But, I knew all involved. I will look for some pics today and post what I find.

STK, who was your dad? We may know eachother

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

That'd be cool. Thanks.
    Bob Kohlscheen. He rode a Norvin, occasionally, and, more infamously, a Hercules W2000. Couldn't sell them at the dealership, so might as well race 'em :crackup: No kidding, that's really why. Tom had a hand in that too.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

RIP Mr. Wegman :(

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

RIP Racer. :(

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Strange coincidence. Yesterday was 10 years since the crash that took me out of racing. Wegman Benefit stepped up in a huge way for me. And I had no idea until today who it was named after. Thank you, and rest in peace.

15. Sad news. The motorcycle community just lost one of the good ones.

16. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

17. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Godspeed

18. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

Rest in Peace Sir.

19. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

RIP Tom...