1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Sir Stirling Moss

Discussion in 'General' started by scottn, Apr 12, 2020.

1. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

He did see God this time....

scottn likes this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

And God asked him to go for a drive.

RIP Mr. Moss. Was he Knighted?

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

One of the all-time greats. My recollection is he drove so hard, he had a reputation for breaking cars. If it held together, he'd win. Had some horrific crashes as a result. But, he wasn't afraid to pitch it in there . . . . RIP.

Cheers,

Dave

joec and Ducti89 like this.
  5. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Sir Sterling Moss,yes that's what Sir means

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

RIP.
    Entry to his corner is where I'd pass the most people on the brakes at Mosport. It's crazy how hard you can brake when going damatically uphill like that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    joec likes this.
  7. joec

joec brace yourself

Was on my no list of corners to ride from the very beginning. Setup on the inside there and shut the door on the exit....

I bet he could still drive the wheels off most anything til the end...

cha0s#242 likes this.
  8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Also fun (and interesting) to see how much throttle you can carry through T4! That is indeed an enjoyable series of corners.

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

T4 is awesome and it took me quite a while to nail it properly. I had the chance of learning from Len Fitch. Nothing quite like getting passed on the outside by a sixtysomething master on an FZR 400 with stock suspension. Damn !

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  10. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Wow, I didn't realize I'd been knighted. No telling how many times I was addressed with...

"Sir, we're going to have to ask you to leave."

YamahaRick, Pixelator, scottn and 2 others like this.
  11. joec

joec brace yourself

Passing on the outside there it was like wow..... Who knew there was Soo much room out here! I also have never seen so many parts of things on a track in a corner in my life. Lol.. It was like a junk yard up there one year. Though I never actually figured out the corner. But you can definitely bomb into it. And I swear when you ride it, it does not feel like it looks in any way.
    3565713480_4374e49cbc_b.jpg

tl1098 and cha0s#242 like this.
  12. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed to ride there May 23,24,but not looking good,especially coming over from the states:(

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The greatest driver to never win the title.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Loss of a great. His gentlemanly behavior at the highest levels of sport is a documented contributor to his never winning the F1 world championship. That said, he certainly was more than capable of doing so. He is an inspiration to anyone who wants to have a sense of fair play and sportsmanship above all (and go fast). RIP.

HPPT and tl1098 like this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

Vrra end of the summer! They have a one dollar one event license. Which is like .80 american

tl1098 likes this.
  16. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

One of the best and closest car races I can remember from way back when I was a kid was the 1961 Laguna Seca fall race—this later became the Can Am series- when Stirling Moss and Dan Gurney had it out in identical Lotus 19s. In the first heat they were on a different planet from the rest of the field and ran nearly the whole race, as my dad used to say, “close enough to be covered by a blanket.” Stirling eventually got away for the win, and in the second heat Gurney had nothing for him, and Moss won it and got the overall. This was also the year Moss won the F1 races at Monaco and Nurburgring in the underpowered Lotus against the Ferraris, when Moss was recognized widely as the best in the world, and he showed it at Laguna—it was a memorable race, for sure, and I still remember it nearly 60 years later. It made quite an impression on a little kid, for sure.

stk0308, scottn, YamahaRick and 2 others like this.
  17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Damn....RIP Sir Moss

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

19. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Nice. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Dave

20. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

"Stirling, it's rather tiresome when you don't get a clean chop." Francis Beart