1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Nicky

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, May 22, 2017.

1. caferace

caferace No.

22 May 2017
    WorldSBK 2017
    Statement from Red Bull Honda World Superbike Team

It is with great sadness that Red Bull Honda World Superbike Team has to announce that Nicky Hayden has succumbed to injuries suffered during an incident while riding his bicycle last Wednesday.

Nicky passed away at 19:09 CEST this evening at Maurizio Bufalini Hospital in Cesena, Italy. His fiancée Jackie, mother Rose and brother Tommy were at his side.

Throughout his career Nicky’s professionalism and fighting spirit was greatly valued and carried him to numerous successes, including his childhood dream of being crowned MotoGP World Champion with Honda in 2006. As well as being a true champion on the track, Nicky was a fan favourite off it due to his kind nature, relaxed demeanour, and the huge smile he invariably carried everywhere.

Nothing says more about Nicky’s character than the overwhelming response expressed by fellow racers and his legions of fans over the past few days. Jackie and his family are truly grateful for the countless prayers and well wishes for Nicky.

The ‘Kentucky Kid’ will be sorely missed by all that ever had the pleasure of meeting him or the privilege to see him race a motorcycle around a track, be it dirt or asphalt.

The racing world says goodbye to one of its dearest sons. Rest in peace Nicholas ‘Nicky’ Patrick Hayden.

Tommy Hayden

“On behalf of the whole Hayden family and Nicky’s fiancée Jackie I would like to thank everyone for their messages of support – it has been a great comfort to us all knowing that Nicky has touched so many people’s lives in such a positive way.

“Although this is obviously a sad time, we would like everyone to remember Nicky at his happiest – riding a motorcycle. He dreamed as a kid of being a pro rider and not only achieved that but also managed to reach the pinnacle of his chosen sport in becoming World Champion. We are all so proud of that.

“Apart from these ‘public’ memories, we will also have many great and happy memories of Nicky at home in Kentucky, in the heart of the family. We will all miss him terribly.

“It is also important for us to thank all the hospital staff for their incredible support – they have been very kind. With the further support of the authorities in the coming days we hope to have Nicky home soon.”

----

-jim

cha0s#242 likes this.
  2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Mourning his loss here too.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Nicky was kind of "my guy". I was fortunate enough to witness many phases of his career as I was no other racer of his caliber. I remember the race of champions where "Earl's crew" showed up and did amazing things, watching him win the Daytona 200, watching him at Laguna Seca his first MotoGP year, as a recent world champion riding for Ducati at Indy and occasionally getting to shake hands at a Honda Riders Club dinner. Not to mention hundreds of times *not* in person (TV), always giving it his all.

I have a large poster in my stairwell at home that I was fortunate enough to pick up when Honda was closing up their tent one year at Daytona. It is of him winning the World Championship. I thought about him a lot as I passed it the last few days.

He will certainly be missed, and while he was a great rider, I think he was an amazing representative of his country to the rest of the world as well.

4. HellrazoRR

HellrazoRR Member

Damn......R.I.P....

5. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

unbelievable news. one in a million awesome person and rider. he will be missed by many.

RIP Nicky

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As they say, only the good die young. Wish I'd had the opportunity to meet Nicky in person. Godspeed champ.

RIP :(

turbulence likes this.
  7. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Godspeed Nicky.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.

R.I.P., champion.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I didn't know Nicky Hayden. I watched him race both on TV and in person at Road Atlanta on the Superbike. I cannot recall ever having the death of someone I don't know personally affect me so deeply. As the anniversary of my brother's murder, May 22 is never a good day, but this news is unbelievable painful. Not only was Nicky a superb ambassador for the sport we all love, he was an ambassador for a life well lived. Rest in Peace young man and thank you for the example lived.

lrrs_311 likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Come July for the Laguna Seca WSBK round I really hope they rename one of the corners at the track in Nicky's honor. It would very much be the right thing to do I'd say to honor the champ at the place he won his first MotoGP race.

CowboyRR, Jay305, gt#179 and 10 others like this.
  11. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

This hurts. Bad. Even worse than Sic. Rest easy Champ. Despite your huge success, you never stopped being one hell of a nice guy to everyone you met. #EternalChampion69

12. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Rest In Peace Racer
    Condolences and prayers sent for the family

ducatihottie999 likes this.
  13. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

my sincere condolences go out to his family and friends!

RIP CHAMP-you will never be forgotten!

NH69 all day, everyday

14. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Rest in peace Nicky, thanks for the amazing memories. What a tragic loss. My heart goes out to the entire Hayden family.

[​IMG]

15. ducatihottie999

ducatihottie999 Active Member

#69 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    I have been fortunate enough to meet his Nicky and his family. The nicest most down to earth folks ever. Praying for his family now during this terrible time of loss. The racing community has lost an American racing icon. He inspired so many and will continue to do so for generations to come. Gods Speed Nicky!

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

True

At the very least Sic lost his life in battle on the track. Nicky raced for years and years at 200+ mph speeds and hardly suffered any major injuries during that time. To be killed on a road bicycle is all the more heartbreaking.

Banditracer likes this.
  17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Dammit. Just dammit.

18. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

What an incredible tribute to what a great person Nicky was to see how deeply he touched so many lives. It's going to be very hard to get excited to watch motorcycle racing for a while, I loved to cheer for Nicky and watch him be as great an ambassador the sport has ever known. He is going to be terribly missed.

I'm not one to shed tears easily but this loss certainly has caused plenty of them.

RIP #69, The Kentucky Kid.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Prayers for family and friends.

20. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

His world championship Red Bull signature can has been on my desk since he won.. I think tonight I may finally mix a drink with it and reflect on the champ. Rest easy #69