1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 26, 2020.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I mean Michael Schumacher is flying around in one to his secret treatments. :D

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I've probably taken about 100 helicopter flights -- every one of them work related.

RIP, Kobe. Some of the shots you threw down were beyond tough.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm missing your point but clearly, you love your job more than I liked any I've had. :)

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

At first I was going to say " -- none for fun". Oh well; I was agreeing with you. Unlike major transportation in Jets, I never view that as "routine".

If I didn't like my job, I'd retire and do something different. Sometimes, you gotta take some risks...

5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'm not an aviator, but I have ridden in helicopters too many times to count. As a passenger, it definitely became routine

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

He was a bball player. What's the brew haha all about? l feel much worse for his wife. Lost 2 at once, that's got to be hard. Didn't know him, didn't meet him, never even saw him. Sorry but I'll keep my sorrow for someone l know.

opinion914 likes this.
  7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Newest report saying basically head on at 161 knots into a mountain.

That’s like 185mph

RIP and apparently only recovered three of the bodies.

I can’t imagine much there to actually recover.

Regardless of his personal life ya gotta respect his ability on the court.

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Humans can sometimes feel a bond to public figures they dont actually know based on watching that public person do whatever it is that makes them important to some. Additionally, the media does interviews, you see their crib, you see glimpses of their personal lives and you feel like you know them. This makes their loss especially hurtful to those people because they are emotionally invested in that individual. This causes a great outpouring of reaction and sorrow. Its pretty normal and impacts all walks of life. Many people mourned Nicky Hayden but it was kept within a sizable, but still minuscule community when compared to what I read is one of the greatest hoops players of all time.

This is no less a piece of human nature than "hot takes" that probably should have been kept to oneself in the first place.

noles19 likes this.
  9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Sadly, like most of these accidents it's likely pilot error.

If you listen to the atc they told him he was too low. If there's anything positive to take from this I doubt they knew what was coming.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How many lawyers could you stuff into a helicopter?

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you could find a roomful of people who didn't know what a helicopter was and you
    showed them a photo of one with the rotors removed and sitting in a parking lot and
    you asked them to guess what it was used for, I wonder how many would look at one
    and guess that it was built to fly.

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

They don't fly.

They beat the air into submission as they travel through it from point A to point B... but they definitely don't fly.

TurboBlew, noles19, tony 340 and 2 others like this.
  13. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

If his wife forgave him and continued to have children...who are we to judge?
    I respect what he did on and apparently off the court after his playing days but I wouldn’t say my world was turned upside down yesterday. Instead all of the “important things” I had scheduled for Sunday weren’t so important anymore. My kids and I rode bikes, watched golf, ate ice cream, whatever they wanted to do. I sure as hell hugged them a little longer before bed too.

RIP Kobe

scottn, tl1098, Jedb and 1 other person like this.
  14. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Whole ? Or in pieces :D

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

And quit dissing Rotary Wings ... Helo’s and autogyro’s are amazing ...

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

You think going overboard about celebrity deaths is bad, count yourselves lucky you weren't in the UK when 'ol jug ears ex-wife was killed in that car crash in Paris. It was bloody embarrassing.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I didn't personally know Nicky or Simoncelli, but it had an impact on me.

The Great One, scottn, Photo and 4 others like this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Damn near everyone's passing is a tragedy to someone. I can recognize that Kobe Bryant was an inspiration to many people... and from what I have seen was a pretty good dad to his kids. To me that's a bigger factor in his being any sort of role model than any skill in tossing an orange ball through a hoop.

I'm trying to think of a famous person whose passing affected me personally...

I suppose that Benny Parsons' death was another in the long line of reasons that prompted me to quit smoking. Not a leading factor, but another nudge in that direction.

Other than that, nope.

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

The hardest I ever took a non family death was Peter Lenz. I was near devastated. Barely knew him but it gutted me.

zamboiv likes this.
  20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I don’t get it. I’m an atheist, so according to 99% of the beeb I’ll rot in hellfire forever. Meh, okay cool.

I just don’t get why there is the rush to find some way to make it clear your don’t value another humans life. A man, and his daughter died. If you really believe in your god, I’d think you’d show some reverence.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020