1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Chester Bennington

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Jul 20, 2017.

1. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

his talent and music was a result of his own pain. i'm honestly surprised he lived as long as he did. the music kept him a live more than anything else.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Every day is a struggle regarding mental illness. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I sought help. It's still a struggle. It was a difficult decision to seek help, and I'm glad I did because I was heading down this path. Every person requires a different method to work through their particular issues, and some work while others don't.

Please don't judge a person for taking the only course of action that seemed "reasonable" to them. It's their decision and only theirs. The decision is made because there are no other obvious options that release them from their demons. Maybe his life would have been better if he didn't take his life. Maybe his family's life would have been worse if he didn't take his life. We don't know because we aren't him.

If you need help, ask for help.

Interesting point: my wife, at one point, said to me "why don't you just stop feeling this way?" That comment really hurt me because I live every day not wanting to feel this way. She has much more empathy for my condition now, but it is that attitude that really bothers me. Trust me, if I could change the way I feel, wouldn't I have changed already? Because I wouldn't ever wish this on anyone. This is a permanent condition that can only be managed, never "cured."

tiggen, Scotty87, JustaNobody and 3 others like this.
  3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

This + eleventy bazilion.
    I haven't personally experienced it but have been very close to those that have. As previously mentioned, you can't throw logical thinking into this. The brain is a powerful tool and has the capability of overriding what one would deem logical. Think of anorexia. Seems simple...just eat a damn sammich. It's not that easy. Same with Chester and others afflicted with addition. Seems simple...just don't take a drink, don't do a bump, and certainly don't jam a needle in your arm. The brain has the capability of overriding logical thinking.
    And a previous comparison was made to racing. It's a bit of a stretch, but, I can see how it is similar. A rational person would think 'hey, dummy...they're gonna turn your lights off if you don't pay your bill...you think it's smart to hit up your already tilted credit card to buy that new exhaust for your bike?'. To those on the outside of the racing world, it's a case of 'I can explain it, but, I can't make you understand'. Again, it's a stretch, but, not that far off from those suffering from a mental condition or addition - they can explain to you why they do what they do, but, unless you've been in their shoes, you will never understand.

JustaNobody and pscook like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's a common theme throughout history. Artists tend to be off, which I guess is a good thing, otherwise we'd all be good little worker bees punching the clock day in and day out in a boring pastel world.

Wheel Bearing, NemesisR6 and jeffr1ey like this.
  5. jeffr1ey

it is a bit of a stretch, but there is definitely a correlation. racing can be just as much of an addiction as drugs and alcohol. those who have done it understand, those that haven't don't and probably never will.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Technically no. It's not a true addiction unless it's physically affecting your body. If you're addicted to heroin, crack, etc, your body has become dependent on these substances and you'll suffer severe withdrawal symptoms if you don't get the drug. Nobody's ever been sick or gone into convulsions because they didn't get track time.

7. jeffr1ey

very true and good point.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Racing is an action, but adrenaline is the substance we are all addicted to. Everyone of us has felt adrenaline withdrawal symptoms after a race weekend, eventhjough they are much milder than those associated with hard drugs. And with the number of broken bones on this forum, it is certainly affecting our bodies.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But your body doesn't know the difference between adrenaline coming from racing or adrenaline coming from somebody jumping out from behind a door and yelling "BOO".

10. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter but I believe he sang at Cornell's funeral. I would have hoped that this might have woken him up to his troubles.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yep. He sang Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Historically, the chances of suicide fell after 30 years old, but lately the suicide rates in "middle aged" men have risen. There has to be a reason for this and it probably has to do with medication.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Medication, divorce rates (and complete lack of "father's rights"), society's ever increasing focus on youth, more stressful jobs, and probably most importantly, the fact that the "ME" generation is now moving into middle age and all these whiner's just aren't as capable of taking what life's thrown at them.

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I take very strong offense to that statement. Fuck you and your holier than thou opinion. You have no idea what makes me tick, or what is in my head. But it for sure ain't that I'm not fucking capable of taking what's thrown at me.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Still not giving a shit. Zero sympathy for anyone deserting their kids.

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

And I'm sorry that you don't understand the toll of depression or addiction.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I do. I don't accept it as an excuse to leave children without a parent.

Robby-Bobby and BHP41 like this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Are you serious?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Apparently he is, at least that's the impression I get.

MachineR1 and Robby-Bobby like this.
  20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

There are some seriously ignorant comments in here.

The dude was obviously sick. Some of these "other people have it worse" shit. Seriously? What situation is worse than the one where you think killing yourself and leaving behind a family is the best option?

JBraun, pscook and jeffr1ey like this.