1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Chester Bennington

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Jul 20, 2017.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Definitely too soon.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

...or, I think it was Dennis Miller who said it....if you find yourself in a position where you are contemplating molesting a child you take one for the team and off yourself instead.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

This. While I'm not an expert, he must have been feeling some inkling of offing himself before. Why not seek professional help the moment these thoughts creep into your mind? I seriously doubt it was a case of "Dear, can you make me a cup of coffee while I turn on the tv to catch the morning news?" <while tv is coming on> "I know, I'll go hang myself." Again, no expert here but there had to be some signs, even subtle ones, that he had issues. I'm sure he thought of checking out before, but for whatever reason didn't. At the very first sign, he owed it to his family to get help. Maybe it was pride that kept him from getting help. who knows. But, in the end, he's gone and 6 kids no longer have a dad and a wife no longer has a husband. Those are the real victims, not Chester.

I'm rambling, but dammit, it burns me up to no end when I hear about celebrities with millions of dollars who "can't take it anymore" or "have demons" etc. Get help. you have enough money to get ANY amount of help you need for as long as you need it.

I apologize upfront to any of you whom I may have offended, especially if you had a family member commit suicide before. I have. I know how tough it is.

crashman likes this.
  4. Until you are in that persons head you have no idea so don't judge. You have no idea how a person feels inside and what they battle with on a daily basis.

cha0s#242, jeffr1ey, mike-guy and 3 others like this.
  5. Why do people think making millions is a reason to be eternally happy? Know what pressure comes along with that? Everytine I'm out with a person well known in the music industry he literally can't piss without someone wanting to talk but it's what he signed up for. Not to mention drugs n alcohol make your moods go way up and down.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You know what my motto for life is?......"it could always be worse"

I don't have any idea how they feel inside their heads' you're correct. But I do know 1 thing, it could always be worse, and somewhere someone is living through that worse and dealing with it, especially when they have 6 children relying on them. But that's just my ill-informed self talking :D

But hey, maybe you're right. Maybe his kids all hate him and maybe he took all his $30mil net worth and set it up into trusts for them and everyone's better off on the backend. Who knows?

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

My brother forced us to listen to Linkin park when he would drive us to school everyday. Linkin park, Tool, Adema, and others were all parts of my middle school years

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

If the stress is too much then give it up. Not that hard if you're so overwhelmed that you're on the brink of suicide. Like SPL said, there are plenty of people who have it much worse and just grind it out daily. And at the end of the day, they chose that lifestyle - the fame, pressure, money, drugs, and booze. It was their choice.

9. redtailracing

I think you just listed the majority of content on my "mix" CDs from middle school.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Bunch of pricks in this thread. Especially racers who risk it all despite having family for their own pleasure.

JustaNobody and SuddenBraking like this.
  11. redtailracing

Living your life to its full potential despite the risk is one thing. Ending it intentionally is another.

R Acree likes this.
  12. I agree but I also don't think it's as simple as you guys make it out to be. Yes it could always be worse but you also have no idea how a person feels until you've walked in their shoes. Mental illness is a very tricky thing and not that cut and dry.

13. redtailracing

I agree on that part and understand that Im not a psychologist. That being said, at some point I can't help but think there has to be a streak of logic in there somewhere preceding the act of suicide, no matter how brief, that says these thoughts aren't right. And it's up to them to act on that streak of logic and seek help. I also don't think its a coincidence the number of celebrities who throw their life away in one way or another, be it suicide or something else, because they can't handle the lifestyle they created.

14. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

RIP Chester... Sad to see this happen.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

My God you never miss a chance to be an asshole, do you?

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I love how I am supposed to be sad and empathetic towards someone I don't know, didn't like their music and who didn't see his own life worth sticking around to finish.

I'm sure I've missed plenty of chances to be an asshole. I just didn't miss this one.

brex, bleacht, 418 and 4 others like this.
  17. It's called being a human being with a shred of dignity.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Shit, now who's going to sing in the Transformer movies?

This does suck. It seems like all the musicians from my formative years are dying. But kind of like Cobain, it's not terribly surprising. It's not like his music was very uplifting.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Usually that "logic" is that the only solution is suicide, that the world would be better off without you, or at least that your death won't matter.

20. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

I
    Unfortunately being human and having empathy towards others is no longer a virtue.