1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rig thread Class C vs Class A

Discussion in 'General' started by motomadman217, Oct 16, 2021.

1. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Been down the toy hauler road many times, always wind up selling them because they are a pita. Going to go the motorhome route and pull a small enclosed trailer (7x14). I first decided to get a smaller Class C but then an opportunity to get a killer deal on a like new Class A from a family member has come along. Thoughts? Budget is 60-80K and looking 1-2 years old.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Class A all the way. A class C is going to be near max weight especially with a 7x16.

Does the family deal rig have 22.5 wheels?

3. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

What was a PITA about the toy hauler?
    I loved my Class A but always thought a toy hauler was the best of both worlds.

4. motomadman217

Mostly keeping it clean as we are talking going to mx races. You have to pressurewash your bikes and gear before you re load them after racing otherwise you will have a complete dusty dirty rig. Have to work bikes and gear on long trips finding room to sleep on the road. Have to have a truck which makes it more costly to daily drive as I commute 1 hr. each way m-f for work. The biggest one is hearing an 11 year old complain he is either bored or has to go to the bathroom on long trips.

5. motomadman217

Are you racing Harleys and hauling lead? I have a 7x14 aluminum enclosed single axle that weighs 1600lbs. Tow rating on both units I have been looking for are 8k lbs. Not sure on the wheel size its a 2020 Fleetwood Flair 31.

6. motomadman217

No it has
    LT225/75R 16E
    on it

7. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

I thought you meant ToyHauler like Outlaws or Fun Movers. Yeah, I can see a towable toy hauler being annoying - still think an RV toy hauler is the ideal setup.
    They're ALL a PITA though.

RRP likes this.
  8. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I've got a 2020 24' Jayco motorhome on an E-450 chassis w/ V10 (2019 chassis). Bought it barely used (3300 miles) a year ago for $63k. It pulls a 7x16 enclosed trailer (one bike, tools, spares and stuff) like it isn't there. It is more than enough for two of us with a single slideout. If I needed to sleep 4-6 comfortably, I'd probably go Class A but I doubt your budget is sufficient for anything less than 5-6 years old.

9. motomadman217

That's the same chassis the one the family member has and same year. It can be had since its a family member in my price range for sure. You got a deal for sure I wish i would had been shopping for one back then. I just have heard a lot of bad things on the fleetwood flairs, but then again we are going into this knowing they all really are junk. I am mostly worried about the steps, i see reviews that retracted up they are only 8" off the ground and pulling into some of the mx tracks getting situated its going to really piss me off when we rip them off.

10. TurboBlew

then your original post is confusing. Your post indicated you had a line a rig from a family member with a Class A which I assume is the Flair??
    If it has the new 7.3 its going to be way better than any van based C. Now Super C is a different story.
    Most my 7x20 ever weighed was 6500lbs with 6 bikes, scooter, tools, fuel, etc... which with my rigs combined weight left me about 500lbs over capacity.

My opinion on the typical gas C is... its a van chassis thats going to be a PIA to work on & easy to over load. Its not any easier to drive or store. Plus the cab area is wasted space.

11. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

If it is a Flair with 16in wheels, it is not a real class A chassis. That is the class C chassis with the cab removed basically. So only a GVW of 14,500lbs.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. motomadman217

Interesting didn't know that, would make sense though advertised as a F chassis now that i look. 2020 didn't have the 7.3 yet everything i have seen is the 6.8 v10. . I am seeing some of them in the 2021s.

13. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

we have a B+ Coachmen Concord single slide, only 30 feet long and tows 5000lbs regularly, we just bought its replacement and altho a lot bigger its not so easy to get in and out of places like the old one was, anyway the on in the pic is now for sale 169538276_1113083232437325_6050758668037070852_n.jpg

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

For that money you can buy nice diesel pusher

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. motomadman217

Define nice, not interested in something 15 years old.

16. motomadman217

What's the details on the B+ and asking price?

17. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Something like this. Age and milage is not issue with them. As long they are taken care of and not trashed.
    You will not get 1-2 year old for that money :).

Attached Files:

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

This style is nice.....They are 8' wide compared to 8.5' wide....and drive more like a superduty truck or E450 van obvisously. I'd stay away from the overcab Class C's.

My '05 Winnebago aspect 26 with a 7x16x7 enclosed trailer, 3 race bikes, 1 pit bike, 30" roller tool box, 6 stands, compressor, 6 spare rims/tires, etc....weighed in at 5440 per cat scales. With just me in the RV, full tank of gas and water, I was pushing the 20,000 lb combined weight limit, and was over 440 lbs on towing capacity. 85 mph, smooth as can be, 3000 rpms.

So turbo isn't far off for a Class C and 7x14,16 enclosed trailer to be pushing the weight limit.

OP, search out Itasca Cambria, Winnebago Aspect, Dynamax. Probably not in your 60-80k and 1-2 yr old price range though.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

You should educate yourself on the different models. Gassers drop like a stone in depreciation... I paid 22% of MSRP for mine that was a couple years old in 2009.
    Coach still works for me these days but eventually when I do more cross country traveling Ill be upping to a diesel coach.

Heres an example of what you can buy for your budget... and not suffer ridiculous depreciation expenses.
    https://mhsrv.com/2004-fleetwood-40...-and-amp--more-used-diesel-pusher-tx-i3148883

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Old diesels will cost you more in the end than you think. A 2004 is already damn near 20 yrs old. People always think that they will run forever, but the intermittent usage they see is detrimental to that. Turbos fail more regularly, injection systems, exhausts rot. Air ride bags fail, roofs, especially rubber need replacing. Dual pane window seals fail leaving them foggy.