1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding from NC to NM this time of year

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Dec 8, 2018.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I'm hoping to complete a deal on an FZ-07 that's in NC. If I flew out what are the chances of having a safe ride if I head south from NC then follow the coast home to Truth or Consequences, NM? What route would you suggest? Or should I just drive the pickup out the 1755 miles?

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What's the coldest you've ridden in?

3. duggram

30 this summer in Prudhoe.

4. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

And did you dig it? If so, you’ll be fine...o_O

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No problem then.

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

1750 x 2 = 3500 mi = fives days' of your time plus at least $500 gas, not to mention wear & tear/depreciation. Even if the bike, once you see it, is not a deal.

My question: why? Are they that rare?

7. duggram

The reason I even ask is that in '95 I had a contract to work in Winston-Salem, February thru April. Big problem then was ices storms, and what a nightmare that would be on a bike. Thanks for all the advice.

8. duggram

Looks like a good deal to me. Anything comparative west of the Mississippi is 1K more. I forgot to mention I'm retired and have the time

XFBO likes this.
  9. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I got one here in Atlanta for sale. Its ready to roll that far. But damn if Motoshippers wouldn't be cheaper.

I totally get it though, I once rode an SV back from Brooklyn in a weekend because it had all the mods I wanted already done.

Newyork and pscook like this.
  10. duggram

Please PM me details. I"m interested.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It sounds like it's more about the adventure than the cost. So I'd say absolutely do it, besides this snow storm right now the weather should be good in the south east anyway.

12. duggram

You got it. The T7 won't be out for almost two years. So I'd like to get an FZ so I can use it at least for street riding and get familiar with that motor. I may be wasting my time but like you said this could be an adventure for a retired guy with time on his hands.

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I've done one from Chicago to NC. Flight out cost $95, and I had a great time on a 10 y.o. bike that was all new to me.

You didn't ask, but tent space on advrider is a great place to find friends who want nothing but to help you. Many offer garages, tools, and pick up if you need it. I have a place you can stay also.

Wish I was riding to NM.:confused:

ToofPic and XFBO like this.
  14. Inquizid

PM sent 46FC4586-DFB3-4A99-BB07-D8498E8E69AF.jpeg

15. G2G

G2G I feel the need

20180501_084940.jpg I rode my new 2017 Aprilia Factory Tuono from Orlando to Chicago straight in one day 24 hour drive. Flew from Chicago to Orlando and had the seller (a friend of mine) pick me up and drive me to his house. Left his house at 11pm and rode straight through back to Chicago. This was in march of this year. Only 4 months after having ACL/meniscus reconstruction surgery. I found a one way flight for $75 and I flew with my leather jacket on and my helmet as my personal item as the ticket did not include a carry on or luggage.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is that Oprah in the background?

G2G likes this.
  17. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Ride it back as far as possible. If it gets to bad, uhaul pickup truck or van one way.

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

That’s insane. You’re a maniac. :bow:

19. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Is that TWO in Suches Ga? That back ground looks familiar.

20. Inquizid