1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riddle me this...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mike-guy, Oct 9, 2018.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Ok so I have a 95 Honda Magna 750. Picked it up cheap and just like having something to commute on for gas and parking sake. It's always had a hesitation when you slap the throttle open but once it gets to 7k RPM or so it pulls good. Sitting at a stop light I can have it wide open bouncing off the limiter, dump the clutch and it just bogs and creeps. I don't care that much but I swapped plugs and cleaned the carbs but no change.

So the riddle. I just recently was eating a bbq brisket sandwhich while riding home from school cause I'm sweet and hit the ignition kill switch by accident while on the highway. When I turned it back on the bike went POP POP and shot flames. Come to find out that if I have the throttle off and kill the ignition then turn it back on only one cylinder (same one everytime, I have individual exhaust pipes) pops and shoots fire. If I keep the throttle open it won't do it at all. I'd imagine that it's puddling fuel and having it open it passes along easily but why only one? Figure this might be a clue to the hesitation problem. Side note it's super loud and scares the shit out of people which is fun.

2. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Ok I’ll bite, how were you eating a brisket sandwich while riding on the highway? How did you work the clutch lever with sandwich in hand in order to get on the highway? Did you have a helmet on while doing all of this?

So many questions.....

As for the mechanical problems I’d say open up that carb on the faulty cylinder and clean it again. Sounds like something is messed up on the idle circuit to me and it’s letting more fuel than it should into that cylinder. It may also be a carb sync issue also. May want to throw a manometer (think that’s what it’s called) on it and see how it looks. Disclaimer: I have no experience with 1995 Honda manga 750s lol

Phl218 likes this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

dumping fuel is usually a float level or float needle/seat problem. but usually that causes problems for all riding conditions, not just low rpm.

I thought that hesitation at low rpm is usually too little fuel, not too much. is the idle circuit adjustable or is there a needle u can move around on those carbs?

since those 2 things are kinda the opposite problem, u might have 2 separate carb issues.

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

hows the gas mileage? Does the bike smell like a Trabant?

Did you check spark? I had a wire come off of the coil before and lost the ground another time that gave me all sorts of headaches.

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Given the details of the description of the problems I’d recomend taking it to someone who knows how to work on carbs...

zrx12man, 418 and beac83 like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The magna has enough age on it the intake boots that hold the carbs might be sucking air or not sealing proper.
    Just hope the back fire doesnt go back through the carb! :D

7. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

You'll love this and hate me perhaps. Sandwhich was resting on the cluster until on the highway. No helmet and sunglasses :)

I could pull it all apart and reclean it. I started to think that it might be a ignition not advancing thing but this kind of rules that out.

I honestly don't remember. I pulled things out, blew them with carb cleaner and compressed air and put it back together.

Gas mileage is good for the bike it is, 40ish. I checked that spark was at leasting going to the cylinders and swapped plugs.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If you know what cylinder is causing the issue, start switching shit around that can be and see if the troubles follow it, one at a time obviously.