1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

return to racing

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by motoracer1100, Dec 17, 2011.

1. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

i would like to start racing again after a way too long absence. i would like to race Vintage and Sportsman series. Rule book states vintage class to run at select sportsman rounds marked with a "V" . Did not see "V" on 2012 schedule, are all sportsman events in the North Central region also Vintage ? I have two bikes for Vintage 6 , one hwt , one Lt . are these races held at the same time, or do i have to choose which bike to run per event ? thanks

2. motoracer1100

upon much further review, i found " no Vintage racing on DH weekends " do any of you Vintage racers know if Vintage 6 hwt and lw are run together ? Can a person run both classes in one weekend ? thanks

3. 418

418 Expert #59

Welcome to the madness.

I'm not sure on the vintage schedule but I will tell you that V6 and V6LW do not run together. Actually, historically from what I've seen V6LW run Saturday and V6HW runs Sunday.

Also, since you're a vintage guy you're probably better off asking these questions in that section. A bunch of old, bored dudes just itching to help you out. :D They'll answer any question you might have and then some. :up:

4. motoracer1100

thanks for the info. "418" . i was not sure if i could ask the same question over there since it started here. do not want to upset Admin/mod.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

V6hw is part of the Sunday Sportsman schedule. It will be run on all weekend. V6lt is a Saturday race, so it will only be on the "V" weekends. Your V6lt bike will fit into soem Sunday races. Clubman, D superbike, superstock depending on what it is.

So, Wat kind of bikes do you have? That will help us get you steered in the right direction.

6. motoracer1100

hey stick, i've got a pretty good idea of what classes i would like to run. Gsxr 1100 in Vintage 6 hwt and maybe senior superbike, rd 350 lc in Vintage 6 lw and clubman . i also have a cr 500 supermoto and a dr650 to run in D superbike and clubman . i know all these bikes can also run in a few other classes. Since i understand your a tire guy , who else makes a decent 18" racing tire other than Avon, which i am currently running on the 1100. i like them but would like to keep other option open.

7. stickboy274

Run that RD in the older vintage clases. It will be more competitive than in V6lt. Look into V2/3, form 500, form 2 stroke. It fits in all those I believe.

You're on your own with that CR 500 crazyness.

I think Avon and maybe Dunlop is all that you will find for the stock rims. Everybody swaps the rims out for 17" so that they can get something that will work better for it on track. There is a thread in the Vintage section talking about prepping one of the older GSXR's. Go check it out. It seems it's not all that hard to do.

OK, go here:

http://maps.wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098#ch11

Click on Vintage and look through the classes to see where that RD fits best

8. motoracer1100

Sticky, thanks for your time and insight. I've reviewed the rule book before my OP, and my 1981 rd 350 lc does not qualify. V 2 and 3 are both pre 1974 classes. Formula 500 is a pre 73/74 class only . Vintage 5 is eligible , but in my opinion it may notbe competitive with the other bikes allowed . formula 2 stroke , looks like a good option. I need to do more research. I can't argue with the CR 500 crazyness, however every time i ride that damn thing , I have a smile on my face that lasts for 72 + hours.

9. stickboy274

Check with the Vintage section. The RD's have another class that they are really good in. Maybe it's V5 and form 2 stroke.

You're still not getting me close to the CR/hybrid when it's in motion. Those motors were never intended to have traction.

10. motoracer1100

You're still not getting me close to the CR/hybrid when it's in motion. Those motors were never intended to have traction.[/QUOTE]

if i understand you correctly, your telling me to mount real skinny tires , light it up and keep them spinning:Poke:

11. stickboy274

Skinny tires with knobbies. Either way, I'll watch from the other side of the fence.

12. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Motoracer 1100, let me know if you have any other questions about your 1100. I recommend taking sticks advice on the 17 inch rim swap as it gives you plenty of options. The 90-93 rear wheel will bolt right up with your existing spacers but the sprockets carriers are different and you'll need one of those as well. Most of us have updated to the 91-92 upside down forks and matching wheel.