1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restore or part out?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Motofun352, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I bought this as a parts bike many years ago. Sold the reason for it last year now I'm wondering if this warrants restoration. Engine is not stuck but hasn't been run for 25 years (best guess). Wiring harness has been butchered. Chrome is pitted including fork tubes. What sayeth the Beeb?
    Some of the spares are a complete exhaust, a tank, frt fender, handle bars, mirrors, gauges and gasket kit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Part it out, unless you want to spend 8x the value of the bike and never have a chance to recoup your investment. However, if it's sentimental, then restore it and ride it!

K51000 and 418 like this.
  3. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Its a cool bike and Honda's are super easy to get back to running order. I wouldnt say go with a full restoration unless you are attached to it but i also dont think it should be parted out and go to motorcycle heaven. Put 200 bucks into it, get it running and stopping then sell it as a running bike. The next guy could go in a million different directions with it if he wanted but to find a complete old honda twin or four is starting to get harder and harder to do.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If you do, my vote is resto-mod cafe. Modern brakes, controls, suspension (maybe throw a brace on the swingarm but otherwise leave it a twin shock), old school fairing...and, just for Broome, white-laced wheels. :D
    Ditch all the chrome except the pipe...maybe some chrome-trimmed air pods to balance it out a bit.

The take-offs could be worth parting out, basically leaving you with the frame (to be chopped as necessary) and the engine.
    What, $3K-$5K in parts, minus whatever you recoup...start the bidding at tree-fiddy? ;)

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but I have WAY more projects than the time to finish them. If it were occupying my floor space, I'd be trying to find a way for it to occupy somebody else's.

gixxersmitty and pscook like this.
  6. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I'd probably get it to fire over and sell it as a running bike. Someone will buy it to chop it up into some abomination. Unless you want to drop coin and either restore it or do a nice custom build.

7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

What is it, 400? 550? It's not a 750/four.
    The 400's were really cool b/c they were stock with 6 speeds- way back then!

Put a sissy bar on that Mo-fo and ride it!

8. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Looks like a 4oo 4 they were cool —red lined high. Had one turned it onto a cafe style. Miss that one... AHRMA!

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And if that spare pipe is an OEM 4-into-1 without cancerous rust, it's worth a mint!

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I figured I'd try and see if I could get it to run. I forgot what a PIA the Kienin carbs are. Kienin built these to be semi impossible to disassemble.....The damn slides are stuck in the down position, soaking them in carb cleaner now to see if I can get them to slide.

11. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Yup, 400 four supersport. Of course that fucking seat is an abomination. I've had four of them, brilliant little bikes, handle well. They were quite collectible a few years back, but I have no idea as of late. Definitely worth more as parts, restoring that would cost a kidney.