1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reputable 2 stroke tuners(west coast)

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by tomzilla808, Oct 31, 2018.

1. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

[​IMG] Hello all,

Newbie here looking for someone to help me get this project ready to race again after a very long sleep(10+ years) 94 NX5 RS250. It does run, firing usually within a few footsteps of a push start. I'm looking to find some help once I ship it to California to assist with it's setup. I know it may be a stretch since TZ's more readily available.
    Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

d_alexand likes this.
  2. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

What type of tuning are you looking for, Additional port works, head recut, custom pipes or what? Scott Clough (SCR) has been a huge help to me with getting my vintage 2 stroke sorted and is awesome to work with!

3. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

Appreciate the reply!
    Basically looking for someone to help me keep it from blowing up. Never having owned a 2 stroke roadracer previously, and knowing how rare it is to come across one(especially in Hawaii).
    I want to be able to do at least a handful of races while I'm still able. At almost 56 years of age I've taken up racing again after being away from the sport for almost 17 years.
    pic for attention from last year on my R6

[​IMG]

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Are you wanting someone to come out to the track with you? Or are you wanting someone to do rebuilds, cut heads, etc.? Are you in Northern or Southern California?

5. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

how many miles / hours are on that crank...

6. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

Most likely I'll need them to come to the track at least once to get the jetting in the ball park. I want to be conservative tone wise for longevity. As far as miles on the crank, I'm unsure, but I will be buying one of the new ones being produced in the U.K.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

If you want the best then you go with Roland Cushway, lemme know if you want his number...

tomzilla808 likes this.
  8. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

If you could dm me his info I would appreciate it!
    This bike was sitting forlorn in a friends shop collecting dust and cat hair. They were thinking of hanging it in a bar or something similar, and I said it needs to be on a track!
    Took 5 years for me to get it but it was worth it. Never got to race a 250 2 stroke, and after winning the F3 championship with my local club on a 95 RS125, I was jonesing hard to ride a 250.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. dieterly

Message sent...

tomzilla808 likes this.
  10. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

Thanks so much!

11. peterleduc

peterleduc Well-Known Member

You need to be forewarned, working with Roland is a very interesting experience. Nothing you do will ever be clean enough and he is always teaching. It’s good and rewarding but also humbling and takes a lot of patience. He is a personal friend of mine and I’ve worked with him for years but it’s not easy. That said, it’s always educational and rewarding.

Peter LeDuc

tomzilla808 likes this.
  12. dieterly

I couldn’t had said it better myself! I also tried to explain, at least some of it, in a PM to Tomzilla.

Magnus,

tomzilla808 likes this.
  13. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

Thanks everyone. I used to work with Ed Sorbo before he bought Lindemann Engineering. He's extremely particular as well. I think I'll be okay[emoji846]

14. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Is that from Mikes shop?

15. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

Yup[emoji4] It deserves to be back on a track, so that's what I'm going to do with it [emoji41][emoji846]

16. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

My buddy Ed used to ride that! That was my dream to ride every time I stopped by to hang out. Almost bought it years ago.

Congratulations and enjoy!

When your done with her I should be close to your age pass her along.

Aloha

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  17. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

This bike never saw track time in Hawaii that I know of. Ed raced a 93 TZ250 and later, a 95 TZ250 that he ended up taking to the mainland to do a few seasons with the AMA.

18. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Different ED. He was in the Coast Guard with me.

19. tomzilla808

tomzilla808 Member

Lol... weren't too many Ed's racing out here. Sorry for the assumption [emoji1]

20. Edward Hannigan

Edward Hannigan New Member

Is this Tom from Hickam auto hobby shop? It's nice to see my old bike getting another run at the track.
    I had given it to Mike as a Christmas present when I decided I would not be going to the track anymore. I guess it stayed alongside his desk in the office collecting dust.

You will love riding it. It always felt solid and composed when I rode it at HRP. Check the shifter, it did drop out on me on the straight before short course turn one. I can't remember if we fixed it since that was my last time on it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    tomzilla808 likes this.