1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Fork Springs

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jed, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

So I bought my son a 2013 YZ85 for Christmas. It's sprung for a 120lb rider and he's 165. I've got the new springs for fork and shock on order from Cannon springs and was planning on doing the swap myself. That is until I started reading up on the process.

Is the spring swap a fairly straight forward thing or should I just run them up to Traxxion for a rebuild with the new springs? Some say the shim stack needs to be tweaked with a change in springs, others say don't worry about it. What's the conventional wisdom? Could a local shop do the spring swap for cheap or is it best to let a pro handle it? Or just buy the right tools and knock it out?

Sweet bike too. JMS Redhead cylinder, fatty pipe, vforce3 with carbon reeds. 45 hours total all for 2k. The kid I bought it from won the state 150 four stroke last year and wants to move to a 125. But I do think it's a touch too racy for a kid moving to a 2 stroke for the first time. Switching back to stock reeds and maybe a longer pipe seems to be one option to make the bottom end a bit stronger and the powerband a bit smother. Am I on the right track there?

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

It would be easier/cheaper to switch flywheels to take some of the 2 stroke 'hit' away

Depending on the forks the spring swap is pretty easy. I have dual chamber carts in my shocks, the springs are on the bottom. Some are near the top, pull the cap and see where the spring is.

I'd leave the V3 reeds, they are better than stock. They don't provide a power upgrade really, they do help in smoothing the power delivery.