1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting Race Bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., Apr 11, 2019.

1. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Experiences? Advice? Legalities? No, run like hell?

2. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Whatever you do, make sure the rules are clear and ideally on paper. No quicker way to lose a friend than to rent him a bike and something happens (crash, mechanical failure, etc.). I've seen it happen way to often.

4. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I grew up racing dirt and started with micro sprints. We were a dealer and also rented race cars for $350 an event. The renter would also pay to register for races including transponder, pit pass, gate fees, etc.. The $350 would include a race ready package with a crew chief (me) and we would mount fresh rubber for A-main and set it up best we can. For damage it was a case by case basis. If rider drove over someones left rear and flipped they were paying for damage. If it was a mechanical that wasn't necessarily driver's fault we would take care of it. We did have a waiver for them to sign but truthfully I never even read it haha. Very rare did the person junk the car and bail... most took it slow and drove carefully. To be competitive in that class you had to have experience and you either had your own car or drove for someone. We only ever rented to rookies and 90% of the time they were respectful and would pay for damages. The best thing about it was once they took their first hit they wanted to buy a car and we built them! Win win for us.. It's a great way for people to get in the sport for sure! Good luck if you decide to do so!

stangmx13 and Scott S. like this.
  5. Scott S.

I would like to get more kids into mini RR. That may pose a special set of issues. Parents can tend to forget agreemnets when little ones get hurt and emotions run high. Really don't want to build bikes bigger than ULW for now.. Committed to the season with UTSBA as tech guy and grid runner. A decent venue perhaps to drum interest.. A good kart track there. Cam to the red phone?

6. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I rented a 250 Ninja way back when for Huey’s endurance race at Tally.
    Wadded that thing up something terrible.
    It was an expensive day.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Missed this somehow.

I've rented a lot of racebikes, but not sure I'd rent one myself. You'd have to have 100% confidence that the bike was prepped properly. Then you'd have to ride around at 90% to make sure you didn't wad it up. Trackdays yes, not sure about racing.

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Rent or Rent and Ride?

10. Scott S.

Rent and ride.. Application, experience, held liscences, etc. Along the lines of what WERA requires for mini riders as this is my target age group. "My kid can do that". Cringe.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Check out feel like a pro. They've been doing it for years out west. Remember it's more than just renting it's providing a turn key package.

Scott S. likes this.