1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting out your home for special events (Not Air BnB, VRBO)

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Feb 27, 2020.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Ryder Cup 2020 is just 30 mins from our house. I saw listings where 3 and 4 BR houses are renting for $20K- $30K for the long weekend. We have a 4BR, 3.5 bath place on a quiet cul-de-sac, with a full wet bar in the basement with an English Pub theme. So, corporate entertaining ready. Thinking we could get on the higher end and rent it for $30K+. Ca-ching.

Other than the obvious of personal items, what steps have you taken or pitfalls you have had, with doing something like this. I did some quick online research and got info on contracts, security deposits, etc. Just wanted a bit more personal stories and tips. Tips on like how much to declutter and secure stuff and how you went about storing stuff on a short term basis, etc.

I mean, it's not like renting during Spring Break in FL, or Sturgis, this crowd will be more like a retired dentist and his extended family from Arizona.

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Do it. A friend did it when some big golf touney was here in St. Louis last year or the year before. Not sure what he ended up with, but it was well worth his while. I think he and his wife just left for the weekend. They didn't take any personal stuff; they figured like you, a retired dentist and his wife aren't going to swipe anything. I'd do it in heartbeat, but my wife wouldn't go for it, plus we have too many pets to deal with. I'm counting the days until all but 2 of the cats and the two dogs I don't like are dead.
    PS Don't tell my wife I said that...

DrA5 likes this.
  3. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Trying to get your wife's approval was stupid. Just tell her you're taking her for a romantic weekend away. Rent the house out without her knowing and arrange to have a cleaning service come in after and make it all spotless. That way you get points for the romantic weekend and overtime points for make sure she came home to a spotless house so she didn't have to feel guilty. C'mon guys, we're not rookies anymore.

For the record my wife wouldn't be into it at all either, but for $30k she wouldn't have much say. I'm taking that money and running every time.

dtalbott, badmoon692008 and L8RSK8R like this.
  4. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I'm taking notes....

5. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

One of the anesthesiologists I work with used to have a house on the 18th green at Pinehurst. He rented it to the Gatorade people for 150K for the week of the tournament the last time the U.S. Open was held at Pinehurst.

Newyork likes this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I heard they do this a lot in SoCal and Miami......you may have seen some of the footage on random videos on the internet. :confused:

7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Homes at 20-30K more than likely include tickets.

Renting homes in and around the Augusta area for Master's week is HUGE!! I built a Poker Table for a guy because he had renters that wanted to play poker. Insane!

But in Augusta, people will get 3-5K for the week, 6-8 if it's a really nice house. But the people who rent the house WITH badges.....yeah, they get 30,40,50K. It's incredible!!!

But be prepared to lock up all your important stuff cause those guys do get rowdy! Secondly, you've got to have a maid or yourself go in every day to clean up after them and be prepared for some of the disgusting shit you will find in your home.....again, those guys get rowdy! And lastly, shit will get broken.