1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing rust from gas tank

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 713, Sep 1, 2017.

1. 713

713 Well-Known Member

I have a 05 sv650 tank with rust in it. The rust is inside the tank on the ceiling. Any advice on how to remove the rust and prohibit new rust from forming would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Try using the search function; it has been covered many times.

3. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have saved several heavily rusted tanks using the following method:
    Plug all holes liquid tight. (except the fill of course)

Fill tank with a diluted rust remover, I prefer ZEP calcium lime and rust remover. http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-o...FdgTgQod7UoADw

I usually mix 1 part remover with 2 parts water (you will need 2 gallons)

Let soak until all rust is dissolved. This can take a few days if it is really rusty.

Drain the tank and rinse with water/baking soda mix. this will neutralize the phosphoric acid.

Dry the tank out as much as possible and immediately coat with WD40 to disperse any water trapped inside.

The acid in the rust remover will chemically react with the steel acting as a rust preventative and there is no need to recoat.

In a few extreme cases the rust is so deep into the metal that it will cause a leak. If this is the case you will want to have it repaired by a good welder. I have only had this happen on one tank which quite frankly the owner considered beyond help anyway.

713 likes this.
  4. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Google "Rusteco" and call Michael...
    Stuff works like magic and easy to work with.

713 likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the POR15 kit worked pretty good for me. Get the larger fuel tank one.

713 likes this.