1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove Caliper Pistons from Monoblocks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by some guy #2, Jul 9, 2013.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I usually split my calipers and use compressed air to pop the pistons out. For monoblocks I can block two pistons but how do you let once piston pop out while holding the other one?

2. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I just serviced a set of 2011 GSXR mono block brembos. I used air to pop 2 of them out, then just used it again and the other 2 popped out. Once they get most of the way out you can wiggle them out unless they are severely crudded up.

4. some guy #2

^Just air and nothing to block the pistons? When I split my calipers one will come out and the other one will kinda move with the first shot of air.

5. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Do one half at a time. I usually zip tie a brake pad across the pistons on one side and use air to blow out the pistons on the other side. Clean the two pistons, put them back in, zip tie brake pad across cleaned pistons to blow out other side, repeat cleaning process.

6. Wacko

Wacko Well-Known Member

I just serviced my r6 mono blocks. Unfortunately, you'll have to remove/clean each piston at a time. I stuck the back end of a hammer into one set of pistons and had a buddy hold down the third piston. Then using an air compressor I slowly expelled the fourth piston. Then just repeat the process 8 more times :). Cleaning those things is really simply, you can even reuse the rubber seals unless you have a ton of miles on the calipers.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I have nothing more to add other than be very careful with the air pressure for anyone going to try this for the first time.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup, oodly enough it generated enough pressure to pop the remaining 2 out even with 2 pistons already removed. I just laid an adjustable wrench in the slot in the middle of the caliper to keep them from flying out. Once they pistons were most of the way out, I just wiggled them out by hand.

9. some guy #2

Oh definitely. I put the them piston side down on my work bench and try to only have the minimum amount of space needed for them to pop out. I had one pop out and fly a good 10 feet into a wall and leave a solid imprint.

10. Wacko

Wacko Well-Known Member

I usually stick the back end of a hammer to hold two pistons and the third I usually ziptie in place. It sucks because you'll have to do one piston at a time.