1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relocating - southeast area

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Sep 21, 2016.

1. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

In that line of work, you are better off renting a storage shed for your stuff and getting a P.O. box for an address because you will be living out of a Hotel wherever your work takes you.

Seriously though, what kind of living do you prefer? Big town, small town and only in the south? Iv'e lived in Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Atlanta, Greensboro, NC, Phoenix and now Pittsburgh and income taxes, political preferences and gun laws have had little to do with what I have liked about certain areas. I also think people are people and now more than ever you will find that even when you live in somewhere like Phoenix, you might have neighbors from Boston and Detroit. I saw a stat back in 2014 that said that only 20% of the current population of Phoenix AZ lived there in 2000. I have also found that drivers are also about the same everywhere I have lived and the only difference is that when you first move, you are new and don't know your way around and it seems like everyone else is just speeding by while you are stuck glued to exit signs and your gps making it seem like you are the only one going a reasonable speed.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Southeast is where it's at. So many employers are moving operations there it's booming. And I will second the opinions on Nashville and Huntsville. Lots of places to live for relatively low cost of ownership and it doesn't hurt to be closer to the tracks.

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Greenville SC. Phil, BP, 2fer, Chuck Deez, Dennis, Joe Pomeroy, Eboz, Me, and others live here. Also, Gary is just up the road in NC. We like the fact that Gary doesn't actually live here because well...it's Gary. But for a visit he's fine.

G'ville. Construction galore.

BrianC636 and Shenanigans like this.
  4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I appreciate that...especially the part about your wife not showing me her cock. Lol

I've got a wife now that I don't think wants me in the first place, why would I want another one...plus I have the SV to race with already.

I have a lot of stuff, storage really isn't ideal. I have a 40x60 shop now that's pretty full (organized though) so trying to store a tractor, tool boxes etc. would be a pain in the ass.

Ideally if I did travel, I'd like it to be limited to a couple hours from home if possible. I understand you go where the work is and if that's the case, I can downsize.

I like small town, country life personally but I guess if I end up doing this solo, beggars can't be choosy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  5. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

:stupid:

Greenville is the shiznit. If my company ever has an opening up there, I'm moving from the Midlands.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

don't move to greenville, because ModelHead, BP, 2fer, Chuck Deez, Dennis, Joe Pomeroy, Eboz, Me, and others live here. Also, Gary is just up the road in NC. We like the fact that Gary doesn't actually live here because well...it's Gary. But for a visit he's fine.

And they have just finished all construction here - there's nothing left to do.

well, except my deck. setting posts tonight. if ModelHead wasnt such a whiny sick flu-ass girl, he'd be a real friend and come out to help. I'd even provide bud light.

besides that, Greenville is pretty cool.

V5 Racer likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

whoa.

address? i have a friend who's looking.

8. BrianC636

So, I had lunch with the boss today (wife) and I breached the subject about where she'd like to be if relocation was required. The short answer is SC which is cool but then I was told that I better be making 6 figures. She currently does and doesn't think she can make that kind of money again in another market. She's a private banker (financial planner basically) for a well established and long standing bank here in town. Her sales are strong because she's known in the community for being good at what she does and is a good consultant for business' for planning purposes.

Then it was "unless you're just going without us". I figured that was the indicator that the conversation needed to stop.

What's the housing market like in G'ville? I'd like to have at least 10 acres (40 is better) and the house can be shit because I can build what I want if need be.

9. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

That's why Georgia is full now, all the Half-backs coming up from Florida.

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Try broaching instead of breaching. :D

BrianC636 likes this.
  11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Plentiful and cheap.

Shenanigans likes this.
  12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Oh and if my ol lady made a 100k I wouldn't work and we be racing my ass off. Lol. 1rst world problems.:D

13. BrianC636

Keep telling yourself that....

I don't work currently and trust me, it sucks. I like being at home as much as I am but the "baggage" that comes with it isn't worth it.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Dude, if you're old lady made $100k/yr she wouldn't be your old lady. You'd be living alone in a singlewide trailer :D

(I know because I'm in the same boat)

V5 Racer likes this.
  15. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Seems like SC maybe the answer but Knoxville is pretty solid, plus TN has no income tax and super low property tax. Few banks around too for the wifey if she wants to go corporate. Be selective about where you buy in the South if you plan on having kids. Schools can be really good or really bad and a mile or two may make a big difference. The wife and I looked at NC, East TN, VA, and Northern SC. We settled for Knoxville and haven't regretted it.

r6boater likes this.
  16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Maybe it is just that I always pick a bad time to go through there. Traffic. Shooo.

17. BrianC636

Wait what? Seriously?

18. BrianC636

Nah, no kids for us. We're almost 40 and her kid will be either moving with us for high school or he'll stay with his dad or I'll come alone.

I'm not excited about TN just b/c my dad lived in Memphis for 2 decades and I judge the whole state on that shit hole city.

19. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

No! East TN is like a different country compared to Memphis...that place is a dump.

Feel free to take a visit here. You can crash at our place.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sure. If she didn't need somebody around to pay bills and take care of shit I'd be out.