1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion question

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Jan 14, 2004.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Does anyone know of a religion that does not assume that God is good, but simply a creator? Thank you.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thiamism?

I don't think people can simply let God be. They may start simple but eventually anything unexplainable gets assigned to him/her/it.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

you bring up a good point. My question was too restrictive. I would also be interested to find out about any religions that automatically assign the unexplainable to God, so long as his/her/its being good is not taken as a given.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

simply a creator...if you can call what was created simple.
    that's my belief.
    i started to write a synopsis and realized, why the fuck bother?
    seems like we don't even care about the ten commandments anymore so, why would anyone care what i think or believe?
    well...if you knew what i knew...:D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Freddie, not asking about personal beliefs. I want to know if there is an actual organized religion that has such beliefs.

"Simply" was not meant to imply the creation was simple. I used it for "only."

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I believe god doesn't give a rats @ss about the individual person. After all, you have 5 Billion people (and a butt load of smart monkeys) asking you for stuff, eventually you'll stop caring.

"Oh God, let me win the lottery"
    "Oh God, make my bobbies bigger"
    "Oh God, give me the ability to drive this truck bomb into an old folks home"

Then you have all those "Oh Gods" during sex.

Man, I wonder if he thinks of us as telemarketers?

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Your going to Hell. He speaks to me you know. ;) :p :D

8. fastfreddie

papa,
    the closest i could think of...zoroastrianism.

The Dawn and Twilight of Zoroastrianism. Contributors: R. C. Zaehner - author. Publisher: Putnam. Place of Publication: New York. Publication Year: 1961.

don't let the pub date throw ya...this guy, zoroaster, predates the christians by centuries.
    copied off the net from http://www.zoroaster.net/indexe.htm
    The Basis of Zarathusta’s Teachings

Zarathusthra seems to have become convinced that all events of the world are based on cause and effects. He has, therefore, based his teachings on three principles: good reflection, good word, and good deed. He was wise enough to recognize that all the motives of human beings are based on action and reaction. Because, the receiver of every good deed in this world will react accordingly with the good behavior. Therefore, in the realm of interaction, if human beings act favorably, they receive favorable reaction and vice versa. In this regard, if a person robs another one, he should not be surprised when some day he will be robbed as well. Zarathustra never imagined praising a God who is a bribe taker. The one, who is bribed by worship and then he rewards his worshiper with a part of paradise. The Almighty God is not a dealer, he is neither a buyer nor a seller, and does not need also to be flattered by his creatures. The almighty God of Zarathustra, is the initiator of justice, kindness, and truthfulness and guides his creatures to the same principles. That is why, Zarathustra, has based his philosophy on good reflection, good word, and good deed. In Zarathustra’s philosophy, everybody has the liberty to choose the right way, out of his/her good reflection and since human wisdom is more related to good reflection, thus the followers of Zoroastrianism should precede by each other to the propagation of science and education. In this manner, Zoroastrianism becomes the forerunner of knowledge and enlightenment.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks Fred, that's pretty interesting. I would be curious to know how he explains children screwed at birth with incurable diseases or born in circumstances (e.g. starvation) that would never allow them to live past a few years. Based on that philosophy, would their suffering be a result of bad deeds by their parents? If so, who is being punished?

10. fastfreddie

if a person had only to live a few years in this world, couldn't that be deemed a blessing?

11. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

If I'm not mistaken the first words of "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Fredrik Neitzse (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of alot of this) was: God is dead

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

not if they are spent starving or suffering. Would it not be better not be born at all?

13. fastfreddie

depends on what that 'soul' had left to learn in this world.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You are born in northern Uganda, starve until some disease kills you at the age of five. Was that worth the trip?

Anyway, stop distracting me. That wasn't really the point of the original question. Go rebuild a Ducati or something.:D

15. fastfreddie

well. if it's the last thing on your spiritual 'to do' list, pretty much, it's the only reason you're here. oh, and to make sally struthers feel good.:D
    me? i'm currently learning patience. no wrenchin' 'til the doc gives the ok. covert wrenchin' will void my sponsorship so, i'm just waitin'...like steve mcqueen said in 'lemans'...

"...Anyway, stop distracting me. That wasn't really the point of the original question..."
    difficult to talk about religion without gettin' sidetracked, huh?:p :p :p
    so, what WAS the point of the original question?

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't really know how to explain it any differently. People have a tendency to organize themselves into religions based on certain common beliefs. I am wondering if people who believe there is a creator who is not necessarily good have ever organized into a religion. Or are they all independent thinkers?

17. fastfreddie

i haven't actively sought out any 'like thinkers'. most people tend to think i'm off my rocker when i present any ideological ideas.
    imagine, how does one advertise a religious 'nut-case' organization and get the right kind of people? the closest i ever came to finding like thinkers was in the realm of the occult or supernatural. again, not the sort of thing you advertise.
    talk about gettin' the right people...there's too much desire to be associated with the 'dark side' these days. what you get is a bunch of morons dabbling in things they ought leave alone.

??? how about 'masons' and the other samaritan organizations? isn't there some religious bend to their existence? ???

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't know enough about any of them to begin answering that.

19. fastfreddie

that was not intended to condone those beliefs/philosophies.

i'm an independent thinker and, as such, i'm either leading or learning. i don't 'follow' anyone. if i encounter anyone with independent thought, it doesn't culminate with an invitation to the 'secret handshake' club. there's just the acknowledgement of mutual respect, unless they're the type that 'sell' their knowledge...they commercialize it and 'dependent' thinkers keep them in business. not that these teaching entities don't have anything i can learn, more to the point, they don't have anything i want to pay for with cash...kinda like goin' to church.
    so...if you find such a collective group of independent thinkers that believe the almighty is simply 'that which is', let me, for one, know.

20. Many of the Deists do.

Deism Defined