1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

red hot exhaust - DRZ400sm

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sicc, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

*disclaimer*
    i tried searching, no luck.

Asking for a friend so specific details may not be available in post #1. DRZ 400 SM motor was replaced. After the swap it started fine, ran fine, sounded fine, felt fine, power delivery fine, etc. The concern is that the exhaust header changes color to cherry red. It is a single cylinder and seems to run ok so I wouldnt think spark or carb or compression trouble. It is the same exhaust (yosh) which had no trouble previously.

Bad exhaust gasket or something wrong with the pipe?

2. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

check the jetting.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't know your model, but had a Honda 250R that did that and read it is normal?

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Agreed with @rob linders that it's common.

Is it glowing when sitting at idle in your garage? Perfectly normal. You need to get that thing moving and the glow will fade. If it's glowing red while you are riding it, then that's likely a jetting issue.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This ^^ We used to get calls from people when we were a Suzuki dealer, all freaked out because the pipe on their new 4 wheeler was glowing. Usually the first time they noticed it was at night. If it's jetted right it's perfectly normal.