1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations on trailer dealers or manufacturers in NYC/NJ general area

Discussion in 'General' started by John Copeland, Apr 12, 2019.

1. John Copeland

John Copeland Member

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new or used enclosed trailer for my racing setup. Tall enough interior you can walk around and work in it. Room enough for 2-3 bikes, tools and gear... I'm thinking 6-8 wide by 10-12' long. Something that takes up around the same space as a full size truck or van...

Thought I'd ask here, in case people have places they've used, or bought from, they would recommend?

Trying to find something within a couple hundred miles of NYC, but open to anything if it's worth the trek to get it.

Thanks in advance,
    JC

2. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

For what your looking to do I’d look at 7x14 to start. You may find that’s not big enough. I’ve also been looking and it may be cheaper to buy farther out and have del or make a run. I live in MD and have been looking towards Ohio and Georgia. They also say they’ll del cheap but that’s relative. I did buy a car trailer 15 or so years ago from PA and del was really reasonable. Good luck and pass on what you learn

3. John Copeland

John Copeland Member

Thanks Ron! Much appreciated, yeah, doing more research and will post back with what I end up with and what I find. thank you.
    J

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I remember a small dealer in the Emerson/Westwood area in Bergen County NJ.
    I'll call my friends that still live around there.

5. John Copeland

John Copeland Member

Thank you!

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve had 3 in a 7’X12’ V-nose and it was tight. 12’ is usually the longest single-axle you can get. If you need a tandem, those start at 14’. If you did 8’6” wide, you can do a triangular stagger setup across the rear and have the whole front for a sleep/living/storage space. No matter what you buy, make sure to get a torsion axle and brakes on any tire on the ground.

Your better brands are going to be Featherlite, inTech, ATC, and Sundowner.

RacingJunk.com, FB Marketplace, and Searchtempest always have used trailer listings.

https://www.racingjunk.com/category/Trailers-and-Tow-Vehicles/13

John Copeland and Ducti89 like this.
  7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

+1 for racing junk.

Keep in mind, the number of axles you have will dramatically influence your toll contributions. Keep it to two or one.

John Copeland and ducnut like this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

My Haulmark 7x12 tandem disagrees with you.

John Copeland likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s not a normal, production build, then.

I guess, since I didn’t preface with “usually” before my 14’ comment, I left the door open. SMH.

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Actually it a Lowhauler, so yes it is a production build. :)

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Oh geez! Haha. OK. Normal, 12’ enclosed trailers usually have a single axle. Normal, 14’ enclosed trailers usually have tandem axles. Will that get it done? :D

12. John Copeland

John Copeland Member

Thank you so much, very helpful information!!!

ducnut likes this.
  13. John Copeland

John Copeland Member

Noted, thanks!

14. John Copeland

John Copeland Member

Thanks to everyone, much appreciated, gonna spend some time looking around with those links... and all this is exactly the info I was after. :beer:

15. John Copeland

John Copeland Member

That would be great, thanks!