1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rec size for enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by brokenwing, Jan 19, 2011.

1. brokenwing

brokenwing Well-Known Member

So I would like to get a little more serious so I am looking at getting an enclosed trailer. I really don't want to buy one bigger in another year so what would you guys recommend? I also plan to sleep in it and keep the bike outside at the track.

Thanks
    Rich

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

What you are using to tow the trailer is the deciding factor. Get something that your vehicle will tow easily.

I wouldnt go much smaller than a 6x12.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Agreed, tow vehicle decides. If you have a full size truck than a 7x12/14 would work for a 1-3 bike set up. I've noticed that 8' wide trailers stick out alot from the sides of the truck and kill MPG. If you have a diesel than your options are really open and a 7x16 dual axle with brakes would be nice

SUV/Crossover- your kinda in the 6x12-7x12 range. Again depends on the tower. 4cyl, V6, V8(small or big)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. MCoop

MCoop Trackhead Motorsports

Anything with dual axles and a v-nose is better for gas mileage. We're in the same boat a year later than you. My buddy and I have a 6x10 single axle which is bad on gas mileage and too narrow to sleep side by side.

For two bikes and two people I would recommend at a minimum 7x12 v-nose if you have a full size truck.

If you have a bigger truck, your wallet is the only limit :)

5. Agreed, it all depends on your tow vehicle. Keep in mind that just because your vehicle "can pull it", that doesn't mean it should. The question you have to ask yourself is "can my vehicle stop it?".

To answer the question, i would look for a 7x14 or 7x16 V-nose.

Just keep in mind that you should get more than what you think you need. If you think "eh, i can just get a 6x10 or 7x12, it'll be fine"...in another 1-2 years you will want something bigger. Trust me. I bought a 7x12 and now im looking to get something bigger.

6. gman350

gman350 Well-Known Member

How is a single axle worse for gas mileage than a tandem?

7. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

It's not, more tires on the ground = more gas used.

8. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

:confused: A V-nose yes, but tandem axle?.... no.

Tandem axle adds weight, and 2 extra tires on the pavement (ever so slightly more drag, so to speak). That will be slightly less gas mileage of the vehicle.

9. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I started out with a 7X12 tandem axle V-nose. Unfortunately it got stolen and I now have a 7X16 tandem axle v-nose. It works fine with 4 bikes. I highly recommend the tandem axle and the v-nose as the trailer rides and pulls better with the tandem axle. The v-nose helps with fuel mileage and gives you plenty of space for tools and gear. I have pulled them with a full size F-150 with the 5.4 to include up in the mountains of North Carolina and West Virginia with no problems.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

tandems:
    generally longer.
    longer is more efficient through the air.
    ride smoother, less bouncing stuff around in the trailer when you hit that unseen pothole.
    more load capacity.
    less stress per tire/per load.
    come with brakes.

singles:
    everything above, reversed.

starting with a 6x10 sounds reasonable if you've never had a trailer before but...
    once you get a trailer, stuff gets acquired to take to your events to make your accomodations less spartan and more hospitable. even with nice shelving, storage, etc., space becomes a premium.

6x12? not really a big difference. 6' width is tight with bikes side-by-side. squeeze/climb over 'em. two more feet of length doesn't help that.
    6.5-7x14+? now you're gettin' some room. squeeze/walk between side-by-side bikes. lots more room for the kitchen sink.
    v-noses are versatile, as are barn doors.

my 6.5x14 has a tire machine in the v. i can fit four bikes but it's tight...take out the tire machine or take less bikes. i usually only carry two bikes and a pit bike or two. i have all the room i need. what's not carried is a shorter list than what is carried.

what do you get?
    wider than 6', longer than 12'.
    side door and roof vent(s) are almost a must have. interior light is nice, too.
    don't forget a spare tire...particularly, if you go single axle.

11. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I had a 5x10 V-nose for the past two seasons. I was limited by my tow vehicle.

I've got a full size truck now and a 7x16 V-nose, it was definitely worth it. It's nice to have space inside.

12. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

more axles=more toll charges. I drove to maryland and at one part it was 5$, with my single axle trailer it bumped the toll to 15$. ouch

13. brokenwing

brokenwing Well-Known Member

Well I was talking to my track buddy and he offered me his to use anytime. So I am set at least for this year. I have a full size truck so was thinking of 7by16 so maybe next year. This year well be a better test case for how I like being at the track.

Thanks guys
    Rich

14. MCoop

MCoop Trackhead Motorsports

If the trailers are the same size, the tandem axles distribute the weight more evenly, helps with rolling resistance (less stress per tire/per load), and takes more weight off the truck.

I've never tested it though :)

15. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Yes, tandem axles better distributes the weight, but it adds weight, therefore doesn't improve gas mileage.

Important thing, with both single & tandem axles, is to not overload the trailer (weight), and make sure the tires are inflated properly.

16. sstein77

sstein77 Well-Known Member

If your budget will allow it, I highly recommend an all aluminum trailer. I currently have an all aluminum 7x19 V-nose that gets the same/better milage than when I used a buddy's all steel 6x14 enclosed with half the equipment!

17. joeyhssdad

joeyhssdad Well-Known Member

I've pulled several trailers from an open single rail trailer to a 3 rail, a 6 x 9? and my current 7x12?. The 7x12 is tall with no v front. I get a 30% mileage reduction when I pull it. (mini-van) I avoid pulling the big trailer though. It costs too much. And, I know that as I spend more $ to get to each race, I have to do fewer races. So, I find myself always wanting to take the smallest one, saving $ in order to get to more races.

18. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I have a Acura MDX and I'm looking at 5x8 or 6x10/12 size.

19. drop

drop Well-Known Member

i bought a 2008 pace (custom built) from the bank.. was a repo.. had a wheel mileage gauge on it.. had less than 1000 miles... bank stated the gentleman had paid over 10k for it. 4 wheel electric brakes, brake away switch, chrome wheels, tandum axle, all black and chrome, all tie downs in the floor.. wood finished inside walls, all insulated with the sterofoam (spelling) walls and floor, not a single scratch on it, all l.e.d. lights.. anyway i got it stupid cheap.......less than half price... way less than half price.. its a 7x16. at 6 foot 6 inside heigth

i was looking for something a touch smaller when i found it, but for what i paid for it, i couldnt buy a 6x12... and with it being a 16 footer, 1 bike racing, with all the goodies loaded and what not, we sleep in it.. perfectly..

here is a pic

i pull it with a full size conversion van... which also has a queen size bed in it lol... so there is plenty of room to sleep.. thats something else i recommend.. if you do get a small trailor, buy a used conversion full size van.. with the bed... mines got a tv, playstation, dvd player, and makes for one hell of a hotel on wheels....

Attached Files:

• 067.jpg
      067.jpg
      File size:
      416.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Damn Drop, that is one FINE trailer you stoled!!!:up: