1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuild Penske - How to change oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by some guy #2, Mar 28, 2016.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I'm rebuilding my Penske double and I'm not sure what part(s) should be disassembled to get all the oil out. I've looked at the manual and I'm stuck on this step:
    3. Unscrew the shaft bearing assembly and remove the shaft assembly.

The shock is depressurized, and I have the remote reservoir completely disassembled. I'm just not sure what part of the body can be taken apart. If somebody has picture of a penske taken apart that would be very helpful.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The shaft bearing is the part of the shock with the seal the shaft goes through. There is a special wrench to remove it, but you can use an adjustable pin spanner.

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I have two 8987's cleaned and ready to go back together on the bench right now. Pics will cost ya tree-fiddy. Want my Paypal? ;)

4. some guy #2

5. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

6. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Just curious... did you figure this out?

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

What's that? You need a Penske triple and a set of AK Gassers for an 07/08 GSXR 1000? I thought that's the bike you had unless I'm mistaken.

8. some guy #2

Sold the 07 gsxr 1000 a year ago. This is for my sv 650.

9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Look at the manual for a Penske. It has good step by step instructions on how to service it.

10. some guy #2

I need a diagram with some of the instructions.

11. some guy #2

Triplestrong came through with the photos which helped. Metric's explanation was also very useful. I got everything apart and cleaned and now I'm putting it all back together. Penske set me straight on where to set the inner floating piston (push it all the way into the remote reservoir and when you screw the shaft bearing/seal into place it will push the piston out to the spec). Bleeding the shaft took a few strokes and it's a bugger to manually move through the stroke. Going to shake it around, tap on it to, and open it up verify all the air is bled out before taking to the dealership to repressurize with nitrogen.

My current rant (and I'm understanding of some of this) the local ducati guy won't charge the shock because I rebuilt it and the local penske guy wouldn't answer my question on where to set the floating piston. Thankfully someone will recharge the nitrogen for $20 since I doubt the tire shops can get it to 200 psi.

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

$20 for a nitrogen charge? Man, I'm so doing things the wrong way. Or they are.

Make sure whoever is doing the charge on it has a good regulator and can accurately set it to the right psi. Too little or too much makes a difference. Depending on what shock it is, 150-200 is usually the working range.

13. some guy #2

Believe me, I think it's scam. Mine is a 8981 (double, gold compression adjuster, 6 clicks). I can't open the manual right now but the Penske assembly instructions say 200 PSI although it doesn't mention one model over the other.

14. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

Shit sounds complicated which I why I send my suspension to Mike Faillace. Fucker even knows how to wrench on Ohlins. Hot Damn!!! :)

metricdevilmoto likes this.