1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear spring removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rene Bucek, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

I got this shock for really cheap but can't figure out how to remove and replace the rear spring. It's a Showa shock used by HRC. The part number is 52400-MFJ-R11.
    If anyone knows how to remove it any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pics of shock.
    img_0879.jpg img_0877.jpg

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd guess under that lower collar is a snap ring of sorts, compress the spring and pop that collar up and remove the ring and then slide the collar and spring off.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's how my Penske is. You can also back the preload off enough to have the spring loose enough to take the snap ring out

4. Rene Bucek

When I lifted the bumper it looks like the whole lower mount with rebound adjuster has to come off before the lower collar can come off. From what I can see it appears that the lower mount with rebound adjuster is threaded onto the shock shaft, the spring collar sits on that, then there's a nut above the collar on the shaft that pinches/locks it all together.

5. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

What did Showa say when you called them? :Poke:

6. Rene Bucek

They told me to start a thread in a forum.

7. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

The power of the beeb braintrust is well known!

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Most likely this.

Penske shocks you can loosen the preload ring enough to give you enough slack to remove the retaining clip. Shocks like this or an Ohlins you have to put into a spring compressor to squash down the spring enough to give you the clearance to access the retaining clip.

Like so....

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You use a regular spring compressor. You need an adapter ring that fits the spring but ID clears the collar (see those rings that are sitting on the post in the photo above?)Compress the spring, there's room for the collar to move laterally, then you move it to the side, tilt it and slip it upward over the shock eye.

10. Rene Bucek

I'll check this weekend but it didn't look like this was possible. Thanks.