1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear mounted camera - legal?

Discussion in 'General' started by racesbikes, May 23, 2003.

1. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

2. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

That's a pretty fancy rear view mirror:D

3. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

I've always assumed that the "no rear view mirrors" rule was to eliminate 2 snagable projection from the bikes and remove another source of broken glass from the track, not so much to prevent racers from seeing whats going on behind them (thought thats a good idea too)...

4. racesbikes

Since it's tucked away under the windscreen it shouldn't pose a snag hazard to another rider and the glass/plastic wouldn't amount to much more than a lap timer........seems okay to me.

I like gadgety things.

:D

5. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

I guess you are planning on getting passed otherwise you would not need it.:Poke: :D

6. racesbikes

Re: Re: Rear mounted camera - legal?

Well, I'd like to tell you that I'm always the lead bike and want to keep track of the guy in second place...........but that just might be a bit untrue, if you know what I mean.

Probably be more useful for me to keep track of the leaders as they come by to lap me.

:D

7. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

On a racebike, that thing is a solution in search of a problem.

I doubt it would be legal in tech. Personally, I hope it isn't. I don't think we need guys watching the screen on the dash instead of what they're doing.

8. racesbikes

I understand that "watching" it would be a bad idea, but glancing at it (like a pit board or lap timer) doesn't seem to be too risky.

Of course if I were to get one I would test it at a trackday or at a slower speed or something like that first.

9. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

It's legal but you have to put duct tape over the glass.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The camera would be fine. The screen I'm not so keen on, do you really think you need any distractions on the track?

11. flagboy

flagboy Well-Known Member

I would have to agree there. We had a major wipe-out on the front stright at VIR yesterday because the guy was messing with his lap timer. :eek: