1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear brake pedal return spring?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tim503, Feb 20, 2003.

1. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. I just put a set of woodcraft rearsets on my f3 and noticed that there isn't a place to hook the return spring for the rear brake pedal. My first thought was: "screw it, the pedal returns without it... I'll leave it off". Is this correct, or should I run some safety wire from the spring to some point on the rearsets to put a little tension on the spring and leave it on instead of removing it? I just don't want to leave it off and then have the tech people tell me I have to put it back on and go back through tech again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :)

Tim

2. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

Yep - Just leave it off. The spring isn't really needed. I run an SV650 and there is no provision for a spring either. I talked to Eric Wood and he confirmed that it's not needed.

3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

the spring is more for the light swith to make sure the brake light stays off.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What Huffy said, the spring that's inside the master cylinder is what controls the pedal return.

5. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Why do I see guys with a fat rubber band around the pedal and attached to the rearset? I assumed they used this in lieu of a spring?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, either they throught the small spring to the light switch was necessary or they need to rebuild the master cylinder is my guess....

7. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help! I kinda wondered what the point of having that spring was. I bought the bike in '97 (it's a '95) after it had already been raced and I've used it both on the track and the street since then. I didn't notice until yesterday that there wasn't a brake light switch on there (shows how much I use the back brake). I guess if I hadn't gotten tired of grinding the stock pegs so much I never would have noticed it. :D Anyway, thanks again for the replies. See ya at Barber... or maybe at the Nashville track day next month. Anyone in the birmingham area going that way?

Tim

8. RB

RB Well-Known Member

If you find that the rear brake is a little too touchy then you can add the inner tube rubber band to give a little more feel. I have seen this in pics of Rossi's 5cyl.

Ray